For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
rami_a's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, December 19th, 2013 10:43 PM

How to set up different virtual LANs (using the 2wire 2701HG-B)?

Hi.

I would like to set up different virtual LANs (using the 2wire 2701HG-B) so that I can have two different networks that can't access each other.

I would like both networks to have access to the internet.

Does the 2wire 2701HG-B alone support creating virtual LANs?

If not, is there another way I can meet the requirement using the 2wire 2701HG-B alone (using something other than virtual LANs)?

I'm ultimately thinking that I would need at least one other router.

So for example,

Router A (2wire 2701HG-B) is setup for DHCP using a LAN IP range 192.168.1.1/24.

Router B is connected to Router A and setup for DHCP using a LAN IP range 192.168.2.1/24.

In this way devices connected to Router A should not have access to devices connected to Router B and visa-versa, correct?  For example, Device X connected to Router A cannot ping or browse files on Device Y connected to Router B and visa-versa, correct?

Would I need to setup anything else on Router B?  For example, do I need to setup DNS settings so that devices connected to Router B can connect to the internet without issue?  Would I need to specify that these virtual LANs are not bridged, and on which router, or both?

I already know how to set up a static IP, DHCP, LAN IP ranges, and static DNS settings on a router, etc.

In regards to wireless devices, I am thinking they would follow the same pattern; so wireless devices connected to Router A have access to other wired and wireless devices connected to Router A but not to wired or wireless devices connected to Router B and visa-versa.  However, if wireless devices currently don't have access to wired devices also connected to Router A, then that is fine for now.

Thank you very much! 🙂

-Rami

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

What you're trying to do is definitely possible, but like you said, you might have to get some additional hardware. I looked up the manual for your modem and couldn't find a way to do that in there. I, personally, have 2 wireless networks at home, one from my router and another from an extender and they work the way you described. I recommend a Network Extender because it'll be cheaper than router and easier to set-up.

Dmitriy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.