Helpful Links

How to set up different virtual LANs (using the 2wire 2701HG-B)?

Highlighted
Contributor

How to set up different virtual LANs (using the 2wire 2701HG-B)?

Hi.

I would like to set up different virtual LANs (using the 2wire 2701HG-B) so that I can have two different networks that can't access each other.

I would like both networks to have access to the internet.

Does the 2wire 2701HG-B alone support creating virtual LANs?

If not, is there another way I can meet the requirement using the 2wire 2701HG-B alone (using something other than virtual LANs)?

I'm ultimately thinking that I would need at least one other router.

So for example,

Router A (2wire 2701HG-B) is setup for DHCP using a LAN IP range 192.168.1.1/24.

Router B is connected to Router A and setup for DHCP using a LAN IP range 192.168.2.1/24.

In this way devices connected to Router A should not have access to devices connected to Router B and visa-versa, correct?  For example, Device X connected to Router A cannot ping or browse files on Device Y connected to Router B and visa-versa, correct?

Would I need to setup anything else on Router B?  For example, do I need to setup DNS settings so that devices connected to Router B can connect to the internet without issue?  Would I need to specify that these virtual LANs are not bridged, and on which router, or both?

I already know how to set up a static IP, DHCP, LAN IP ranges, and static DNS settings on a router, etc.

In regards to wireless devices, I am thinking they would follow the same pattern; so wireless devices connected to Router A have access to other wired and wireless devices connected to Router A but not to wired or wireless devices connected to Router B and visa-versa.  However, if wireless devices currently don't have access to wired devices also connected to Router A, then that is fine for now.

Thank you very much! Smiley Happy

-Rami

Message 1 of 2
Community Manager

Re: How to set up different virtual LANs (using the 2wire 2701HG-B)?

What you're trying to do is definitely possible, but like you said, you might have to get some additional hardware. I looked up the manual for your modem and couldn't find a way to do that in there. I, personally, have 2 wireless networks at home, one from my router and another from an extender and they work the way you described. I recommend a Network Extender because it'll be cheaper than router and easier to set-up.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 2
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support