Israelmer's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, April 12th, 2017 10:06 PM

Closed

How to disable dhcp on uverse routers

Hi, i need to set up a windows server 2012 and must run dhcp services however my att router does not have the option to disable dhcp. What can i do? Anyone can help me please?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Israelmer

Assuming you have devices on your home network that connect to your server, how will those devices also connect to the internet?

Realize that you can may your server a static IP address and the U-verse router will honor that.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for responding to my post. The devices will get ip addresses active directory on the windows 2012 server for some reason the server must be setup as the dhcp server on the network. I have no experience i am learning snd probably there is another way to do it but i dont know how to do it. The main situation here is that my modem does not have an option to turn off dhcp. Thank you for taking your timr to respond to my post.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

You cannot turn off the DHCP protocol on the AT&T Gateway.  If you want your Windows Server to do DHCP for you, your best bet is likely to install your own third-party router behind the AT&T Gateway and isolate your network behind that.  Other than to prepare for Windows Certification, I wonder why anyone would want to set up DHCP on Windows instead of letting a router do it.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I have a sonicwall that i can use for that purpose. But i dont know how, if any tutorial that you will recommend on youtube or somewhere else?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Israelmer wrote:
The devices will get ip addresses active directory on the windows 2012 server for some reason the server must be setup as the dhcp server on the network. I have no experience i am learning snd probably there is another way to do it but i dont know how to do it. Attempting to install an Active Directory with no experience will be extremely challenging to say the least.
The main situation here is that my modem does not have an option to turn off dhcp.

@JefferMC is correct you cannot disable DHCP on not only the AT&T router/gateway but also on most routers that you could used cascaded off of the AT&T router/gateway.

Again, my question to you is how you were planning to have your devices connect to the internet if your server is providing DHCP services?

I can think of two possible ways:

1. Cascade a router off of the AT&T router/gateway that is capable of disabling DHCP and providing a routing protocol, like RIP. Of course all devices desiring internet capability will need to support RIP.
  2. Or - Install a second LAN on your server that will connect to the AT&T router/gateway. Then your server will connect to two IP networks; 192.168.1.0 for the AT&T router/gateway and say 192,168.2.0 for your devices. Then all you have to do is figure out how to route between the two networks.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Israelmer wrote:
I have a sonicwall that i can use for that purpose. But i dont know how, if any tutorial that you will recommend on youtube or somewhere else?

Having a type and model would be nice but you have internet so you can find something out there on your own, right?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Yes, thank you.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I found this article referring to a 3rd party router config that gave me an idea to try.

It suggested manually configuring the dhcp server on the Uverse Gateway to match the network already in use, but limit the dhcp pool to 1 address.  That 1 address is statically assigned to my windows server, in this case.  My windows server too is running DNS and DHCP and is configured to point to the uverse gateway IP as the router etc. and so far so good!  my devices get the IP address from the server and use the Uverse gateway as the router!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

The reason i'm trying to avoid the UVerse gateway and it's DHCP config is the issues with it's built in DNS server.  I've had most of my devices pointing to my own DNS to avoid the delay in site look ups.  I don't recall this being an issue before but now that i'm back on UVerse (the last time being years ago) it's been consistently annoying.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I want to setup an adblocker / Pihole

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.