For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
garry4690's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, March 7th, 2017 5:01 AM

How do I use my own router with the 5268AC router

How do I use my own router with the 5268AC router.  I posted this question earlier and received a response from AT&T that was incorrect and based on old software.  Please post the correct information.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

6 years ago

I see several posts about performance issues with the WAN interface on the R8000. This router was released originally prior to many people having gigabit connections. I'm imagining that the router code needs some optimization. If you have traffic counters you may wish to turn that off, and play with QoS.  Check your firmware version as well.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to answer; but the solution is to change providers.  ATT couldn't manage dial up, much less this service.  Their most advanced technology solutions at anytime, have always been years behind.  Their lack of intelligence and greed is facilitated by security policies, which prevent them from having to do anything.  When UVERSE first launched, the security protocols were behind the times.  Their failings, and they are massive, in high speed, is a symptom of a monopoly that was simply in the right place, at the time of deregulation.  Years ago, if you got the right tech on the phone, you could get a work around the issues which have always caused their internet products to fall drastically short, relative to their advertising.  Don't get me started on their throttling of IOS devices.  

In conclusion, for all readers, the user can have a customer purchased router that will not hit the market for 20 years. (the best of the best, govt. defense type stuff)  As long as that ATT gateway, is the first stop after the termination of the fiber line, (required) the router will never perform beyond the desires of ATT.  Even with a PhD in the open source router firmware technologies available free today, which is no small chunk of learning, the improvements are minimal after hours of trial and error.  Solution:  don't waste your money on a 400 dollar router in conjunction with ATT service; go back to cable or wait for Google to get to you.  I found the interim solution to be taking the switch provided by ATT to me and moving it to another part of the house and going old school and hardwire everything with cords galore around the house and knowing that your portable devices should all have cellular capability going forward.  (ipads, etc)  Even with the TV or DVD or other streaming device hard wired and all other connections not being used, HD streaming service is lacking in performance 20-30% of the time.  Like all big companies, they will blame Netflix or Amazon; best to only let the situation cause you minor aggravation.  (if you can) 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

6 years ago

I'm sorry you were unhappy with AT&T superdaveryan, and I'm sorry that you're still so bitter six months later that you write multi-page diatribes that assume many facts not held in evidence.  There are some issues with interoperability with some routers and some Gateways, often the required configuration settings are not obvious.

You should note that this user was able to get the expected speeds through his router if he avoided his router's WAN interface.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

JefferMC, rather than attack superdaveryan, why not proffer a solution - if you can - to the fundamental problem: how to utilize the full capability of a third-party router with the behind-the-curve AT&T Pace 5268AC Gateway?

That is the question all of us who reach this search destination would like answered.

I'd like to improve the wi-fi signal through my home using my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router (and choose my own DNS server) in cooperation with the Pace 5268AC Gateway acting as a "pass through" internet receiver. How do I accomplish this, Mr. ACE Expert?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

6 years ago

@falline, I have done so in many other threads.  I linked to an explanation in another thread in an earlier reply to someone who really wanted assistance (vs. superdaveryan who has moved on to another provider and is just here to... why is he here?).

In summary, configure the 5268ac so that your router is treated in DMZplus mode.  Set your router to get its information via DHCP.  Disable all other filters in the firewall section.  Change the LAN IP address range for the 5268ac or your router so that they are different (aids troubleshooting).   Reboot the 5268ac.  Reboot your router.  If you have issues with that, refer to one of the more detailed posts along with some solutions to possible issues.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the tips. However, so far I've been unable on this forum to find any explanation of the means to use a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router, in router mode, with the AT&T Pace 5268AC gateway, specifically.

I have already attempted the steps you outlined in your reply, to no avail. I'd love to hear from someone who's been able to make these two specific devices coexist.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

How do I use my own router instead of the 5268AC router

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Sorry sorry, but “getting the expected speeds by avoiding the WAN interface? ...ummm....??!!??

How does this prove anything other than that his device provided its expected behavior functioning as nothing other that a switch? No router functions would be available in this mode and it does nothing to provide functionality as a router, to provide customer control over security, etc. In other words, not being relevant to the main (or actually any part of the reason for having it be a router) reason for the OP’s question or intended purpose of having a router in the network topography. 

Your specious answer to an obviously dissapointed and somewhat bitter critique of AT&T’s failures as an ISP show that you in fact have more of a problem with a dissatisfied customer than with the failure of AT&T’s customer support and customer technical support in general and in specific. 

Hmmmmmm......

I would also like to ask a question of you. Why can’t AT&T provide functionality for this purpose (as it is quite obviously desired by customers and available with nearly every other form/provider of internet connectivity) and if unable to do so, at the very least make this issue clearly understood by the consumer and why???

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Oh, by the way. Your answers in other places have not been answers at all. The issues of not being able to use your own equipment (I.e. router) have not been addressed fully since neither placing the device in the DMZ, nor as a cascaded device successfully allow its usage and potential speeds with the pace RG. Nor, I might add, do they function with any reliability in conjunction with the Pace equipment supplied by AT&T. One of the many issues is the Pace RG failing to properly pass IPV6 addresses/info to any device in the DMZ or as a cascaded device. 

These issues are in in fact showing nothing other than AT&T’s inability to correct them and its desire to retain control of information. Information and control which it uses for its own monetary gain and for purposes it really doesn’t want its customers knowing about.  

Simply put AT&T doesn’t want them fixed. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Drago, geez you’re so bitter!

I think much of this can be resolved by changing to the new router / gateway, the Arris BGW210-700.  It is an improvement, all around and much is discussed about how and why it is better.  Ask ATT for it and get the latest firmware.  The interface is much better.  AT&T installers, the person that comes to your house.  These guys seem to finally realize that the closet is not the best place for the router.  This new product works better.

My desire to use my own router, was always quite basic compared to some folks I read about.  I simply wanted to get close to the wireless speed of my NIC card, my paid for bandwidth, and the specs of my personal router and / or the ATT black box.  Speeds that have always been consistent for me with TW cable modem.  For this need, the new router is an improvement, but not the solution.  I hooked up an old WRT Linksys, the original blue / black device, and the setup was easy and it works; the DMZ function / solution is not used with this new product.    And this new ATT device is more advanced than my WRT, so, I did not see much any improvement and saw a steep decline in ethernet / connected wire speeds.

Reading this website and the Linksys and Netgear website via google searches, most people who are far advanced in their needs and knowledge, such things you can go read about, are still having problems, even with current NON AT&T gateway / router, that are top of the line.  These discussions, seem, if I read through the lines, to deal with privacy, anonymity, and guys / gals who enjoy having devices and systems, all having external ip's, etc., game hosting, private dns, etc.  But, more than anything, they enjoy discussing it and dropping big terms and complaining about ATT unannounced pushed firmware changes that screw up their world.  

The main issues are still speeds that vary, but are always slower than what they should be and the ongoing efforts to use our own equipment, to fix the problem, as we have with other providers--And this solution still not working after 10 years of Uverse.  

After a year of therapy, I can say this new device is worth getting and a step in the right direction.  I can also recommend speaking directly to ATT legal, they can help.  However, at the end of the day, I still have an almost gig connection, wired.  A wired connection that changes based on what I am doing vs. the number of users sharing my pipe and a wireless connection that is still 300-450 meg slower than it should be, with the network adapter and the ATT gateway, inches apart.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.