garry4690's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, March 7th, 2017 5:01 AM

How do I use my own router with the 5268AC router

How do I use my own router with the 5268AC router.  I posted this question earlier and received a response from AT&T that was incorrect and based on old software.  Please post the correct information.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

To make use of your Linksys the best way to accomplish is as follows:

1. Perform a factory reset to the Linksys
  2. With nothing else connected to Linksys connect a PC to any non-WAN port of linksys (If WiFi is active after a factory reset, you should be able to connect that way as well)
  3. Configure the Linksys for DHCP and change the LAN/WiFi IP addressing for an IP network other than 192.168.1.0, say 192.168.2.0, because the 5268ac uses a 192.168.1.0 Class C network.
  4. At this point you can cable up the Linksys to the 5268ac if you want or continue to configure Linksys, your choice

Should you get any warning messages from the 5268ac or att.net about having a cascaded router, you will then have to put your Linksys in the DMZ of the 5268ac firewall.

Since you have not expressed why you wanted "bridge mode", I ignored.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@garry4690

Please advise as to the type and model of your router.

I just viewed your previous post and my question is why do you want a bridge solution?

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Linksys E2500

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

This worked.  Thank you.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I thought you could not put 5268AC in bridge mode, that you had to use the DMZ.  Your advice seems to indicate that it might be possible

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@superdaveryan wrote:

I thought you could not put 5268AC in bridge mode, that you had to use the DMZ.  Your advice seems to indicate that it might be possible

@superdaveryan

With the 5268ac you can use downstream devices that are cascaded or bridged from the 5268ac LAN, Ethernet and WiFi. A bridged device typically just extends the 5268ac LAN network where a cascaded device creates a new LAN network.

A device using the DMZ capability of the 5268ac will assume the internet IP address that the 5268ac is given and believe that it's actually on the internet, bypassing the 5268ac but that is only what the 5268ac wants it to believe. One of the problems in using the DMZ is that the device may not be compatible with the protocols exchanged with the 5268ac and the upstream AT&T router. When I put my Apple Airport Extreme in the DMZ the speed test showed a significant drop in speeds and a multitude of errors in the 5268ac logs.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I just got the new Google Mesh 3-point system, and was told by support that I should bridge my ATT 5268AC to let the smart mesh control flow? I am subscribed for Giga fiber, and the mesh shows this, but only get 1/10 of the shown speed when testing with speednet. Any advice?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

The short answer is you can't.  I am not positive in what you are saying, but sounds like you need to ATT hardware to function as a modem, for lack of a better term and product, vs. a fiber gateway and router and simply put, ATT won't allow it.  Don't waste your time.  You are going to run into trouble with Google and ATT blaming the issue on each other and leaving you hours on the phone with folks that can't push a broom.  The best you can get is to have your product be a step down to the att hardware and they will never play nice together.  The consumer can't get descent and published wireless speeds from ATT just using their own product, much less adding additional networking equipment. 

My advice is ditch att -[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. them. This is the most incompetent group of people in one location I have ever seen and it starts at the top. Even Att does not understand their security protocols, which have been poor  since the start of the service many years ago. Even if you get the mesh working the relationship between the fiber and the wireless will never work as well (with Att service) as Coaxial cable and wireless - Att will always blame this on somebody else - change ISP while you have some sanity left. Even if this is all you worked on for 12 hours a day, it would require all of your time and never be fixed. Also, understood that they really don’t have 1000 meg down - the majority of the routing to the destination never even gets close to 1000 down - notice on a speed test how that needle climbs slowly and takes forever to reach maybe 870 down? - Good luck -

Wireless is even worse.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Jujubeans69, what you should be able to do is to log into the U-verse Gateway and configure your Mesh system in the DMZplus configuration.  That is as close to "bridge mode" as you can get.  A few more details in the solution in this thread.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Ive got a Netgear Nighthawk R8000, downstream of that P-O-S Pace 5268AC gateway.  I recently, upgraded to AT&Ts 1Gbs service.  When I run my PC directly to the gateway, I get close to 1Gbs, but when I have the Nighawk router in between, it maxes out at about 300.

Interestingly, if I put the ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports on the Nighthawk, instead of the INTERNET port, I am able to get close to the 1Gbs on a PC wired to another LAN port, but then the Nighthawk's functions are unavailable, e.g., all WiFi shows "No Internet" and I cannot access the menus.

Suggestions?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.