fbbbreferee's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, September 15th, 2013 11:28 PM

How do I set up my Apple Airport Extreme to provide wifi network in my home? This could be with or without the modem wifi system. I would prefer the Airport to provide the network wifi.

I recently have joined AT&T for my TV and internet.  It came with a modem that provides a wifi signal for all of my divides.  What I want to do  is attach my Apple Airport Extreme and use the Wifi Network that the airport will provide as it is also my backup for all of the devices.  How do you provide the signal to the Airport Extreme and still have the provided modem do what it needs to do for the DVR and the TV?

Please be specific in your explanation if you have one.  Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

I have done exactly that, including backup, though I am doing it with a AT&T provided WiFi router with integrated vDSL modem.

Basically you plug the AirPort Extreme in the Ethernet jack of the modem.

Realize that what happens is the AT&T network will provide an IP address/network to the AirPort Extreme. That is your upstream network.

You will have to configure the AirPort Extreme to use a different downstream network. It will use Network Address Translation (NAT) to accomplish this. My downstream network uses a 198.168.128.0 network and DHCP.

Let me know and I can copy and paste my AirPort Extreme configuration. Let me know what type of modem as well.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hi fbbbreferee,

The information that apexron provided pretty much sums it all up. The only thing that you may need to watch out for is Quality of Service Control behind the AirPort Extreme, so with that, the best way to do this is to have the Set Top Boxes connected directly to our modem and have all the other devices that connect to the internet go through the AirPort Extreme. Also, so there is no wireless interference, I would suggest disable the wireless on our router.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Im trying to setup my new apple extreme with the nvg 589 with the latter as the bridge. May I get a copy of  your AE setting please, thanks.

my email address is {Personal content removed for your safety}

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have an AT&T DSL with a modem/router provided by AT&T. 

We have a cottage in the backyard with an ethernet port. Because the wifi signal from the main house isn't strong enough, I've plugged in a Time Capsule (basically an Airport Express).

The WIFI signal is really fast but unfortunately it occasionally stops working and I can't figure out why. The TimeCapsule thinks it's no longer connected to ethernet port. An electrician checked the ethernet cable and says it's in good shape. I've gotten it working again 3 times - by restarting the modem and/or resetting the TimeCapsule to factory defaults. 

Do I need to customize the Time Capsule configuration to make this work? 

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi ApexRon,

Could you share your  AirPort Extreme configuration?

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I would like a copy of your Airport Extreme configuration settings!

Thanks,

A H Merrill

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Hello ApexRon,

Would you please send me your settings for your AirPort extreme like you have for others?

Thank You in advance!

Jason

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I would like to use an Apple Airport Extream to provide home wifi using my ATT 3801HGV GW to connect to the Internet. The GW supports Uverse Internet and phone connection, but not TV. Can you send the connection configurations mentioned above? 

Thanks for you assistance.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.