bolynn80's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2015 8:01 PM

How do I put Pace 5268AC Router in passthrough bridge mode?

Hello,

I have one of the new Pace 5268AC routers provided by AT&T Uverse and I want to put it in bridge mode so I can utilize my D-Link 3200AC Ultra Wi-Fi Router. There used to be a bridge mode setting in the past modem/router combo units that AT&T provided. However, I am unable to find how/where to put this Pace 5268AC router in bridge mode? 

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

There is a relatively easy fix- you set up a RDP network to answer as an onion domain, however you'll have to be security conscious to do this without opening yourself to attack. To learn more about onion domains, visit http://www.torproject.org

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

A much easier way to handle this is to run everything as an onion service, and therefore effectively bypass the router, with the torrc file Basically becoming the router. To learn more about this visit http://www.torproject.org

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I would like to say thank you two a few on this thread and you know who you are if you are still checking in. I just moved from Boston to the Charlotte NC area and with that I moved from Comcast blast to the the new ATT Fiber. I have used Comcast for over 7 years and its been very solid with very little issues along the way. I work from a home office and have a little network that hits all my needs with such things as a free NAS running multiple services including a cloud service and such, and a gateway to gateway VPN on the a LRT214 VPN router and wireless device behind that running Merlin. All in all pretty solid and only breaks when I get frothy and want to do something new:).  Well i moved into my house on Monday and had the new ATT fiber installed Tuesday Morning and nothing has worked sense. Where would i be if not to find this thread and crawl it 3 or 4 times because I had to be missing something but I was not. Again thank you to the likes of piersonk and a couple of others that really did some great leg work on this, so I only had to lose a few days of productivity and I had those off to move anyway. The Pace 5268ac is as stated above not usable for VPN and does not really have a pass through, and you guys are right that the tables are still blocking traffic. Another thing that was stated that is a little mind blowing is that the tunnel showed connected but would not send or receive traffic. And using this VPN for a while now it does not connect if anything is out of place so it was hard to understand the connection and still not working. I had a pleasant experience with ATT Fiber install and the guy was here for a while and was very nice so after reading this and seeing another person suggest the NVG599 which i also knew nothing about because ATT is all new to me I called my install guy today and asked him if he new about the 2 devices and that the older one actually allowed a bridge mode and he did, he was actually very knowledgeable about all the service and devices. He also said he had one in his van and was about 10 minutes away on an install. Anyway 2 hours later I had the NVG599 in my hand and sent the 5268ac on its way, a little research on the settings and bam everything is running just like it always has except now i am on ATT and i have a Gigabyte connection. So again thank you and sorry for the winded story. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I just called ATT and cancelled my new Uverse service. I was able to get an ATT static IP to my router (no thanks to ATT) and to get enough services through the firewall to meet almost all of my needs. What I could not overcome was the inability to turn off the 5268AC's LAN DHCP. For a variety of reasons, I need to reconfigure the 5268AC's LAN subnet to match my router's, but I also need my router to offer LAN DHCP, and two DHCPs will not coexist on one subnet. The 5268AC is the only device I've seen in over 3 decades of IT work that will not allow LAN DHCP to be disabled, so in the end that was a show-stopper. I am sorry to lose the speed, and I am sorry to have to continue with Spectrum. For the average consumer, this Gigapower service is a great value, and the ATT people with whom I've dealt have uniformly been great, but ATT corporate is hard to deal with if you're not doing things the way they've decided you should.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Please can you check if the NVG599 allows disabling DHCP on the LAN side?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

So, I just got the Pace 5268AC yesterday and tried setting up the built-in firewall, but could never get Plex to pass through correctly because it really needs UPNP working. I couldn't find a bridge mode option specifically mentioned in the settings, but I accidentally stumbled on it, so I figured I'd share. My router is a Nighthawk R7000, but it shouldn't matter what you have. 

The magic setting is under Settings->LAN->LAN IP Address Allocation, using these settings: 

AT&T modem.jpg

However, what I stumbled on is you can only set this when your router is the only device in the list. In my case, my router and the technician's iPad were in the list, so the address assignment always said Static IP. 

So, you need to disable all wifi radios/SSIDs, clear the device list under Settings->LAN->Status, then reboot the modem with only the router attached. Your router should be the only device in the list when it comes up and you can set the LAN IP address allocation above. 

Hope this helps. 

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

7 years ago

The reason why this doesn't work when you have multiple devices is that you're telling the Gateway to assign a public address to any device that requests it via DHCP.  If you only have one device, then your one public address gets assigned properly; if you have more than one, then the first to ask gets it and any others gets no address.

If this works for you, fine, but the most appropriate configuration is normally DMZplus mode (though I have heard some issues in the 5268ac firmware implementation that can cause issues for some).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Is there a solution yet to the drastic reduction in speed setting up one's own router with U-Verse?  I've read this whole thread, and saw a couple of posts reporting significant loss in speed using another router, but no explanation or fix.

I have a buddy with U-Verse who let me hook up my own DD-WRT router and try out the configuration instructions here.  I successfully got his Pace 5268 to place my router in the "DMZ Plus Zone", but when I ran a speed test with my laptop hooked up via ethernet, the most I got was 40Mbps out of his 100Mbs service.

This is a show stopper, and very disappointing to see this huge drop in speed.  When I connected my laptop directly to his gateway, speed tests were actually over 100Mbps, so the Pace is still processing packets somehow causing such a drop in throughput. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

A DDWRT isn't going to successfully route 1Gbps. You'll need to get
something more modern. I run an ASUS recent model and I get a full Gb
through the router.

Also things you turn on can slow things down. For example, if you use QoS
in your router, just handling and inspecting all the packets can be a
bottleneck.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

My friend's U-Verse service is only 100Mbps, not 1Gbps.

My DD-WRT router's WAN port can handle up to 100Mbps.  And I did turn everything off on it to get as much of a raw throughput test as possible - no firewall, no filtering, no access restrictions.  I monitored the router's CPU during the speed test, and it never went over 58%.  I expected some loss of throughput with the extra hop, but not a 60% loss!

I also tried disabling all of the settings of the gateway's firewall with the same dismal results.  Is there a main toggle to completely/globally disable the firewall on the Pace?  I couldn't find such a switch, so I'm still suspecting that the firewall is inspecting packets to/from my "DMZ'ed" router.

If it matters, I followed the "LAN IP Address Allocation" method to set up my router.

What configuration did you follow exactly to use your own router?  And to be clear, you are using your own router as *the* gateway to the internet in your home network, and not as a simple wi-fi AP, correct?

I would really love to know before ordering that I can continue to use my own router that I've invested a lot of time setting up for my specific requirements.

Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.