How do I connect a USB printer to a 5031NV Uverse gateway box, thanks?

Contributor

How do I connect a USB printer to a 5031NV Uverse gateway box, thanks?

Hello,

I have a 5031NV Uverse gateway box that has a USB port. I would like to connect a USB printer to that box. Any ideas? Thanks!

Message 1 of 13 (9,199 Views)
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: How do I connect a USB printer to a 5031NV Uverse gateway box, thanks?

If it's like all of the rest of the Uverse gateways, the USB port cannot be used for anything except charging or powering something.  I looked in the user guide and it does not list any functions for the USB port so I would assume it's still the same.  One of the community managers might chime in with a definitive answer.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13 (9,199 Views)
Community Support

Hi achng123,

As beebeesa stated, the USB port is disabled on our router. Hopefully, you do not need to use it as a network printer, and you should be able to just connect it directly to your computer via USB port.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 13 (9,199 Views)
Contributor

Thanks all, not sure the reason why AT&T want to disable a port that is very useful for a USB network printer but I guess I will have to buy a USB network printer to get my printer working. I used to have netgear that had a USB port that work but I have just upgraded from DSL to Uverse and my netgear dsl router don't work anymore.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 13 (9,199 Views)
Community Support

We definitely apologize for the inconveniences. If you do purchase a network router that has USB ports available, let us know if you have any issues connecting it and we would be glad to assist you with connecting it to our modem.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 13 (9,199 Views)
Contributor

if that's the case use your netgear router as an access point to the Uverse Router.
Message 6 of 13 (8,321 Views)
ACE - Expert

achng123 - If you are still working this issue - I have had a printer connected USB to a computer. When I added a second computer to the u-verse network, it can see the printer and print to it.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 13 (8,292 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I have a d-link wireless router, so I can hook it to my u-verse wireless to get sccess to the usb port on the d-link? I use a network drive to backup my computers.

Message 8 of 13 (7,866 Views)
Contributor

Yup.  We used our D-link wireless router as our connection for a network printer -- better than a cable across the floor to one computer for someone to use as a remote.  Your D-link will show up as another wireless connection.  Connect to it and you have your printer access wirelessly.

Unfortunately, our d-link died today.  Now we are stuck finding another option because ATT won't set up the Gateway USB for use with a network printer

Message 9 of 13 (4,361 Views)
Contributor

How do I connect my Netgear AC1200 WiFi Router to my AT&T equipment (model # 5268AC) so I can use my USB printer?

Message 10 of 13 (1,291 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

@jrkdugan To connect a router make it as dumb as possible - like a swtich. No DHCP handout. just pass through. Even lan- lan Use cat5 cable between the two.

Altrnatively, connect the USB printer to a USB jack on a computer & set it for sharing

Or get a USB/wi-fi & connect wi-fi.

Message 11 of 13 (1,275 Views)
Contributor

Thanks David 

I connected my net gear router to U verse modem via ethernet cable and then Connected usb cable of the printer to Net gear router. It worked like charm. Thanks

Message 12 of 13 (255 Views)
Contributor

Great,  Can someone explain to me why the ATT tech dismantled my home netowort with Netgear Router that had USB drives attached ?

Message 13 of 13 (53 Views)