Holdthedoor12's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, October 10th, 2018 9:09 PM

How do I add an additional wireless access point to my BGW210.

I'm trying to add an additional router to my home network. I have an ATT provided BGW210 and would like to an additional access point at the other end of my house to improve speeds. Ideally I would like for this to be the type of network that moves you from one access point to another without the user knowing. I have no clue what I am doing but know it can be done. Thank you

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

For the wifi (not to be confused with the wireless receivers and their WAP) what I think you need is a wifi extender.  Att sells the Airties.  But you could probably use other wifi extenders just as well.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

thank you! I'll look into this. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

If your home is large and the AT&T router signal will not reach out to cover your entire home, I would suggest you look into a Mesh WIFI that can be placed on your network in Bridge Mode.  A lot easier to support than a access point IMHO.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I already have a cable ran to the room that I would like to setup the
wireless in. With the mesh technology, is that something I can use with an
Ethernet cable or does it strictly rely on the wireless connection? Just
wondering if I even need the Ethernet cord in the room with this WiFi mesh
idea

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Absolutely, all you have to do is to plug in the RJ44 Ethernet cable into the modem base and follow the installation instructions, making sure to place the wireless router into Bridge Mode.  What i like about some of the Mesh WIFI Routers is that they come with multiple wireless access points..  Once you install the base unit, you can just take and evenly distribute the wireless ACP throughout your home, no additional Ethernet cables needed, just a power outlet. 

Good news is that prices are falling as more companies offer this solution.  Best advantage of all is you configure the base unit and the others just work.  Take your iPad (whatever) device, stream music and as you walk through the house the signal strength will remain high as it shifts connection seamlessly to the nearest access point.  I suggest you do a search for Wifi Mesh Networks.  Good luck!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.