RyanN904's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, September 5th, 2012 1:14 PM

Hooking up a tv in the same room as RG

House is currently wired up like this with all new coax from AT&T. (been over a year)

Office - RG

Master Bedroom - Small dvr box

Family Room - Large dvr box.

I want to move the box & tv from the Master into the office.

I tried last night using a regular coax splitter before the RG but it didn't like that.

Do I need a HPNA splitter?  Or can it not be done at all with out having a tech come out?

The only thing going into the RG is the coax from the wall and the power supply.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

Not a lot of detail here, but let me try...

The STB you're trying to move is fed by coax currently?  Would you be willing to switch to Cat 5e?  If so, just connect a cable between one of the 4 RJ45 jacks on the back of the RG to the RJ45 on the back of the STB.

If you don't like that plan, can you describe how the RG is connected?  It sounds like the installer fed your RG via Coax and is also feeding HPNA out to your STB's using Coax via a Diplexor.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

RyanN904 -
Yes, as jeffer says connect the STB in the office via cat5. Also, be a good idea to move the DVR to the office & the STB to the family room.

The reason the COAX is complicated is the RG is fed COAX. The RG has only one COAX connection that takes the line signal in and sends a TV signal out, The combined signal is separated by a diplexer with three connections.
LIne signal from NID
Combined signal to/from RG
Output to the rest of the TVs - May be one TV or splitter for more TVs.

I have RG- DVR cat5 and the rest of the TVs COAX. This is a pretty standard install. Before whole house DVR it was best to have the DVR on the most used TV - Now it is best on least used TV.

If you are unfamiliar with cat5 - You can get pre-made cables - any color any length at monoprice.com or many other places - very inexpensive.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Sorry, I was trying to keep it simple.

Correct, the STB is fed with coax, everything is fed with Coax, RG and STBs in the other rooms. Coax from the wall to RG and then in each room there is coax feeding the STBs.

So is it that simple that I can feed the STB with a cat5 and the tv will work?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Guess it has to be cat5e.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks guys got it working last night, I had some cat5 laying around so I tested it out and bam it worked.  Now I just need some longer ones to make it all look purty!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

Great!  And thanks for letting us know.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.