notsure1953's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, July 14th, 2014 3:52 AM

Higher electricity bill after installing u-verse

Has anyone else had an increase in their electricity bill after installing u-verse?  I switched from DSL to Internet, TV and phone all under u-verse. My first electricity bill after installation was almost double the prior month and higher than it's ever been since I've owned this house.  Could this possibly be connected to the u-verse installation, or do I have a problem somewhere else in the house?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

When you turn off your receivers using the AT&T remote, the receiver goes to standby mode and still consumes electricity.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

@notsure1953 wrote:

Has anyone else had an increase in their electricity bill after installing u-verse?  I switched from DSL to Internet, TV and phone all under u-verse. My first electricity bill after installation was almost double the prior month and higher than it's ever been since I've owned this house.  Could this possibly be connected to the u-verse installation, or do I have a problem somewhere else in the house?

The equipment associated with Uverse will not increase you electricity use by any discernible amount. Pennies perhaps but nothing you would notice. 

Could it be that your kwh (kilowatt rate) increased?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

notsure1953 - Did you get air conditioning, as well? Maybe you have an old refrigerator or freezer that is becoming even more inefficient? Using the dryer or oven or well pump more & more? Watching more TV & surfing the wen constantly?

Replace all your  light bulbs with LEDs.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

Wow, this is a new one, doubling electrical bills because of UVerse.  I would seriously hire an electrician and have them come check your house and see what's the root cause since there is no way UVerse recievers have done that.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

In all seriousness, many pieces of U-verse equipment have been checked with current monitoring equipment by customers and the power usage is minimal.  While the recievers do draw power in standby, they don't draw all that much when fully on.  IPTV receivers have been rated much better than traditional cable TV receivers.

Look at this thread, SomeJoe7777 posted some numbers from his analysis:

https://forums.att.com/t5/2013-Jogger-Archive/U-Verse-and-Electric-Bill/m-p/2660907

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

10 years ago

Would it have anything to do with running your AC more often than not? What is your temperature set at and do you have a programmable thermostat (they help save money)

Employee

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

One thing to consider, as well, is that some electicity companies have higher rates in the summer.  I live in Georgia Power's area, and our rates increase in the summer.  Add that to increased use of air conditioning, and my bill is much higher in the summer.

This may not be what's causing the increase in your power bill, but is something to keep in mind.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your replies.  I didn't really think U-verse was to blame for the large increase in electricity cost and had already considered A/C, higher summer rates, etc.  Turns out the electricity company (Entergy) read my meter incorrectly - over by about 1500 kwh!  I'm still trying to get it resolved with them, but at least I know the cause. Thanks again.

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Wow, this is a very strange situation. It seems to me that the problem is with the supplier. Yes, I'm not joking, maybe the supplier just increased the cost of your tariff plan and now you have to pay more. It’s also possible that your plan has expired. For example, I was on vacation for a long time, then I ran into huge bills (during the vacation I turned off all the devices except the automatic gate). When I contacted the supplier, he said that the problem was that I did not renew my tariff plan and I was transferred to a standard tariff plan. I did not know what to do in this situation, and if not for the tips on usave.co.uk, then I would encounter huge problems!

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.