Higher electricity bill after installing u-verse

Contributor

Higher electricity bill after installing u-verse

Has anyone else had an increase in their electricity bill after installing u-verse?  I switched from DSL to Internet, TV and phone all under u-verse. My first electricity bill after installation was almost double the prior month and higher than it's ever been since I've owned this house.  Could this possibly be connected to the u-verse installation, or do I have a problem somewhere else in the house?

Message 1 of 10 (1,072 Views)
Tutor

Re: Higher electricity bill after installing u-verse

[ Edited ]

When you turn off your receivers using the AT&T remote, the receiver goes to standby mode and still consumes electricity.

Message 2 of 10 (1,047 Views)
ACE - Master

notsure1953 wrote:

Has anyone else had an increase in their electricity bill after installing u-verse?  I switched from DSL to Internet, TV and phone all under u-verse. My first electricity bill after installation was almost double the prior month and higher than it's ever been since I've owned this house.  Could this possibly be connected to the u-verse installation, or do I have a problem somewhere else in the house?

The equipment associated with Uverse will not increase you electricity use by any discernible amount. Pennies perhaps but nothing you would notice. 

Could it be that your kwh (kilowatt rate) increased?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10 (1,022 Views)
ACE - Expert

notsure1953 - Did you get air conditioning, as well? Maybe you have an old refrigerator or freezer that is becoming even more inefficient? Using the dryer or oven or well pump more & more? Watching more TV & surfing the wen constantly?

Replace all your  light bulbs with LEDs.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10 (1,012 Views)

Wow, this is a new one, doubling electrical bills because of UVerse.  I would seriously hire an electrician and have them come check your house and see what's the root cause since there is no way UVerse recievers have done that.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 5 of 10 (1,009 Views)
ACE - Expert

In all seriousness, many pieces of U-verse equipment have been checked with current monitoring equipment by customers and the power usage is minimal.  While the recievers do draw power in standby, they don't draw all that much when fully on.  IPTV receivers have been rated much better than traditional cable TV receivers.

Look at this thread, SomeJoe7777 posted some numbers from his analysis:

https://forums.att.com/t5/2013-Jogger-Archive/U-Verse-and-Electric-Bill/m-p/2660907

Message 6 of 10 (984 Views)
ACE - Professor

Would it have anything to do with running your AC more often than not? What is your temperature set at and do you have a programmable thermostat (they help save money)

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 7 of 10 (980 Views)
Employee

One thing to consider, as well, is that some electicity companies have higher rates in the summer.  I live in Georgia Power's area, and our rates increase in the summer.  Add that to increased use of air conditioning, and my bill is much higher in the summer.

This may not be what's causing the increase in your power bill, but is something to keep in mind.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 10 (956 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 9 of 10 (842 Views)
Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your replies.  I didn't really think U-verse was to blame for the large increase in electricity cost and had already considered A/C, higher summer rates, etc.  Turns out the electricity company (Entergy) read my meter incorrectly - over by about 1500 kwh!  I'm still trying to get it resolved with them, but at least I know the cause. Thanks again.

Message 10 of 10 (839 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.