For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
soupcxan's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Friday, June 12th, 2015 1:21 PM

High pitched whine noise from new Arris NVG589

A uverse tech replaced my 2wire gateway with an Arris NVG589 this week and there is a high pitched whine coming from the unit. Will exchanging the NVG589 for another unit fix this or do I need to get a different brand of router?

Guru

• 

638 Messages

9 years ago

I have a new NVG589 as well, and there is a high pitched whine noise coming from it BUT I can only hear it in a quiet room with my ear within 1 inch of the RG. Depending on the length of the connected cables/wires, try moving the RG around - it might be picking up some electrical interference from an outlet or another device. OR...since it's new, contact your installation tech and state that your RG is defective.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I recieved a brand new one and mine does this as well....

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

@tjtblr@soupcxan@pedrochin

Does it still produce this sound when you disable the NVG589's wireless?

http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/wconfig.ha

I know that a few devices make a low noise whine sound when there is wireless activity.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Yes.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I also have this problem with the high-pitched whine.  I worked with an AT&T rep yesterday and we tested two NVG589's.  Both had the high-pitched whine. We tested them disconnected from the power source and running only on the battery--still had the high-pitched whine.  We tested it without the battery and only running on the power source--same result, even without any lines connected to it.  It takes a minute or two to warm-up, then starts humming.  I went as far as plugging it into a neighbor's home, just the gateway, and it still whines, after warmup.

The solution-- we placed it in a cabinet to buffer the sound.  New problem--the outside walls of the cabinet are now warm to the touch.  I'm not comfortable with this amount of heat.

I believe that Arris must have had a bad batch of gateways, since this whine does not seem to be common problem for them.  I will be calling AT&T to try others, hopefully from a different batch.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I also have this whine when the wifi is off. I can hear it sitting anywhere in my office which is about 12x12 feet. If I throw a blanket over the router, the noise is mostly gone, but it gets very hot and I'm not leaving it like that for fear it will start a fire.

I called AT&T and they would not ship me a replacement, they want a tech to come out, which is quite inconvenient as I have to be home to meet them again.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I have kept the NVG589 RG in the cabinet (to muffle the whine) for three days now.  It gets hot and heats up the cabinet, but I don't believe it is enough heat to be concerned about a fire danger.  Other electronics in that cabinet do warm up from it, which I do believe is a concern; and hence, I've moved them away from the RG.  The whine is still pronounced when the cabinet doors are open.

My access to the internet has dropped (during use) every morning since switching to the NVG589.  Interestingly, the power, battery, wireless, broadband1, broadband2, and service light remain green.  The phone1 becomes disconnected.  It doesn't seem to reset itself, and requires me to do a reset with the button on the back of the RG to get online and phone again.  I wonder if this is an issue with the RG or the AT&T service in my area.  Looking forward to input from others.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I have this same problem and it is extremely annoying. I can hear the high-pitched noise from a room away. When we buy a product, we shouldn't have to design a sound-dampening box that also prevents overheating, but that is what I'm going to have to do! Really hoping AT&T provides replacement modems/routers soon, lest we hate them forever!

Echochet, thanks for your helpful reply. I feel for you. Also, our Internet service in Benton, AR has not been dropping as you described, despite the same annoying-sound-producing modem. We do not have a land line, though (just use our cellphones). So it's conceivable that it could be related to your phone service, area, installation, or overheating. Good luck!

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

AT&T came out for another issue and replaced my router with a NVG599. Now the whine is gone.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I called AT&T and they told me that they weren't aware of the problem. They clearly didn't believe me, so I made this video! https://youtu.be/SN1sx2uv_Bs

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.