Atojx001's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, December 21st, 2016 3:40 AM

High Pitched Noise From Pace 5268ac Router

I recently had my router changed out by a technician and now get a extremely high pitched noise coming from the new router. Is this just a defective piece of equipment?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Atojx001

Call AT&T and ask for a replacement.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

Just had Pace 5268ac installed. It too makes high frequency noise, particularly when running data or a speed test over WiFi. Att sent another Pace 5268ac and it does the same thing but louder. It’s really annoying and after two with the same issue, att should have caught and fixed the problem. Guess I’ll have to return them both and cancel new service. Arris hw seems cheap w no support from att or Arris.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I've always had this issue with mine and I've just been dealing with it. But I now work from home, and it's unbearable to constantly have this high pitched noise in my ear. Has anyone found any solutions yet? Does ATT have any better/different equipment. I'm looking into switching over to COX right now. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I have the same problem.  I had them send me a replacement and it does the same.  Debating on whether I want to see if 3rd time's a charm or not...

Scholar

• 

465 Messages

5 years ago

I would call and set up a tech appointment for a new gateway. There are other models available and not all 8268ACs make the noise. (mine doesn't). That way you'll be sure to get a quiet one before the tech leaves.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

Problem is with caps and regulator power circuit when lots of data pushed over WiFi, particularly 5G bands. Some are worse than others but all units seem to exhibit issue due to att tech/shipping handling. All the ones I tried had the same issue after a while.

Run okala speed test one a device while connected to 5G and stick your ear to the top antennas and you’ll hear it if you’re not too old.

Just buy your own router from bestbuy/amazon and plug into Ethernet port of att’s modem/router and skip their poor execution all together!

This also separates your WiFi/router dependency on their equipment, Incase you want to change to another provider and keep att’s finance dept honest.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion but I actually do have both WiFi bands disabled
on the router and use my own external wireless router. So it’s not related
to the WiFi / bands / antennas.

Scholar

• 

465 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, call for a dispatch so you can get a quiet gateway. If a quiet 5268ac is not available, the technician can give you a BGW210 if he has one on the truck. I've never seen anyone complain of the 210 making noises.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

So an update on this.  I had dispatch.  Technician only had a 5268 in the truck.  Swapped it out (this will now be the 3rd modem).  This one also makes the noise.  Because I have 100MB connectivity, he said we can't use a 210 (he told me those don't support 100MB).  So for now, we used longer cable to just move the modem to a closet to at least contain the noise.  ATT really needs better quality control over these devices, or choose new modems altogether.

Scholar

• 

465 Messages

5 years ago

Somethings wrong here. The BGW210 does support speeds over 100MB. Many people are using it for gigabit fiber service. The only reason I could see that you couldn't use a 210 is because you might have your receivers connected via coax. If not, you could use either gateway. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.