Darknessrise's profile

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

Saturday, August 11th, 2012 10:43 PM

Help Please :(! Wild Connection - I was barely able to post this

Just this morning our TVs kept randomly going to the blue screen and thought eh it'll fix itself. Now the TVs and internet keep dropping out. I tested my internet connection by pinging the gateway and this is what I'm getting most of the time.

Pinging ---- with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Reply from -----: Destination host unreachable.

Reply from -----: Destination host unreachable.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for ----: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),

Pinging -------- with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for -------: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

The stats are somewhat improved with the 3801, the max rate has come up around 2 Mbps, and the noise margin and power levels improved a bit. This is typical of the 3801, it has a better VDSL section than the 3800.

If the old 3800 was sensitive to movement, then it sounds like it may have had some kind of internal hardware problem. Your error table from the 3801 certainly looks nice, although it's only been running for 1 1/2 hours.

The battery backup for the 2Wire gateways does have its own internal surge protection, I believe. So I don't think it would need to be plugged into your surge protector.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

What do your UV Realtime screenshots look like?

Have you called Technical Support at the number shown in my signature?

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

I left the gateway unplugged for a couple minutes then plugged it back in and it seemed to be ok. I wasn't able to get UV realtime stats at the time since it wasn't even able to get stats due to it stuck on"Busy" due to no response. Earlier this month I was having wireless issues where as soon as I began using the internet my link speed dropped to 1 Mbps for a few days but that went away. Is my gateway failing? We had this gateway for almost 4 years now. We haven't decided to call yet since we haven't had much luck with them in the past. Our VRAD is on our lawn

Here's what it looks like now and it seemed to have gone down a slight from what it was yesterday:

Stats-2012-08-11-20-16-09.pngErrorTable-2012-08-11-19-42-12.jpgBitloading-2012-08-11-19-42-31.jpg

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

This is what it looks like now :(. We went to support to order a new RG as I feel it's the part of the problem as we are getting no response back from the gateway at all while these errors happen while the line stats seem fine. This is what happens during it's "Seizure" moments.

ErrorTable-2012-08-12-09-10-38.png

Guru

• 

428 Messages

12 years ago

Getting the newest version of 2Wire/Pace RG (3801) would definately help you cause. The errors will be corrected a lot smoother. However, this is only a bandaid fix. I'd suggest calling 8002882020 and get a technician out there.

High FEC's over a short interval can slow your bandwidth passing through your RG to a crawl.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

This wasn't happening till now after years of having the service. The gateway also had some other problems that were going on so I'm guessing this whole issue is the gateway as the issue fixes itself for a couple of hours when I reset the gateway. I'm really hoping they send us a 3801 and not a refurbished 3800. If the gateway swap doesn't fix it then we'll call up and see.

What else could it be?

No other corrected blockers/errors had happened since that last error table I posted.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

We just got our 3801 by UPS now and wow that thing gets hot O_o. How does it look compared to when I posted on my 3800 back with:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Are-These-Stats-Good-or-Bad/m-p/3250439

Also, how did my distance increase o_o and is it better to keep the battery backup in a surge protector or wall outlet?

Here's our stats now: (Don't mind the link retain since that was because I changed the thing for DSL line selection)

The bitloading graph makes me amazed.

Stats-2012-08-14-18-45-38.pngErrorTable-2012-08-14-18-45-47.pngBitloading-2012-08-14-18-45-51.png

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

I don't see anything too bad in either set of UVRealtime screenshots except for the error table.

I suspect there may be some intermittent interference from a power line, malfunctioning or broken electrical device, gas discharge lighting, etc.

Watch the error table and see if the errors persist. If they don't, then you're good. If so, post back.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

So does the new RG look better stat/bitloading wise than the last one? The 3800 was fine with no corrected blocks or anything but would give random bursts of HPNA loss/internet crashing which were becoming more frequent  and was incredibly sensitive if someone even picked it up an inch off the ground. Our original installer plugged our battery backup into our surge protector but the manual I received with our new gateway/backup said to plug it into an outlet so does it have internal surge protection? They really need to move our gateway's location so much. We currently have it installed right above where the NID line comes in from the basement over coax which is good but they put it in a super small spot in a bedroom laying on a carpet surrounding by a metal lamp, TV/stand, bed, wall, and everything else blocking it while putting it on the opposite side of all our of internet devices which leaves us only with wireless :/. Wireless on the 3801 seems slightly worse than the 3800.

Oh and also, the side of our house where the VRAD is became the AT&T worker hangout to rest Smiley LOL

ErrorTable-2012-08-14-21-13-08.png

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks a whole lot Somejoe and yup that 3800 was super sensitive. If you picked it up a whole splatter of corrected/un corrected/errors happened until you left it alone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.