JohnFoam's profile

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Tuesday, April 26th, 2011 2:32 PM

Help - Do these line stats look normal?

Hi All, 

I've been on u-verse for several years with the 25/2 profile and have been very happy with the service and stability but I'd like to get the 32/5 profile so I can get an internet package with the higher upstream speed and another HD stream.  After talking to neighbors on either side of me and looking at their linestats I think I should be within the distance for the 32/5 profile, but my line stats tell a different story.  I've read the readme for UVRT but still can't make heads or tails of the bitloading and other stats -- hoping that SomeJoe or anyone can help me analyze these...

========================================================Stats-2011-04-25-22-55-03.png

Bitloading-2011-04-25-22-55-48.png

Incase those images aren't approved yet, here's links as well:

http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee430/JohnFoam1/?action=view&current=Bitloading-2011-04-25-22-55-48.png
http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee430/JohnFoam1/?action=view&current=Stats-2011-04-25-22-55-03.png

========================================================

I'm not seeing any sinewave drop out patterns but it feels like the bit loading drops off very steeply compared to others I've seen.  Also, the noise margin seems low for my estimated distance I think. 

The neighbor on the side closer to the VRAD has max rates in the mid 50's with much higher noise margins and neighbor on the further side has max rates in the mid 40's and higher noise margins. 

Additional info:

I live in a neighborhood that is only about 12 years old and was "wired for lightspeed" when built back in the SBC/SNET days. 

By the tool calculuations I'm on the edge of the 25/2 profile but my service quality has been very good -- never get retrains, uncorrected blocks are never more than 1 or 2 per day (often 0), corrected blocks are usually in the 10k - 15k/day (many of which are from voltage sags when the furnace or A/C kicks on and off), and I rarely have pixelization or TV freezing issues. I had the tech and I&R out twice right after the original install to get my uncorrected and corrected blocks down  -- went from 100k / day to where it is now. 

Does anything look suspicius in my stats?  Would it be worth contacting level 2 again and have I&R come out to take another look? 

Thanks All.

P.S. SomeJoe -- very nice work on UVRT this is a very cool tool. 

2 Attachments

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

I would say there's probably something not quite right with your line.  The average max rate of other people with a similar distance in my database (about 600 people) is about 34.2 Mbps, with a standard deviation of 4.6 Mbps.  Given that your max rate is 29.5 Mbps, this puts you in the bottom 15% of lines compared to other people at the same distance.

The problem could be a bridge tap, or could be just a bad pair, poor connection, etc.  But the line should be able to be conditioned better to improve the max rate.

As the line is running now, it's actually not running within proper parameters, since it's slightly overcommitted.

You should call technical support, have them send a premises tech to your house to check the line. He should open a helper ticket with the Installation and Maintenance group (I&M), which are the linesmen, to come try to condition the line and improve the max rate.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks SomeJoe, really appreciate the feedback! That is kind of what I was thinking, I'll get in touch with support.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

13 years ago

SomeJoe thanks again for your input on this... I thought I’d post a follow-up on how things went. 

First, I just want to say thanks to the Tier-2 support group,  I&R, premise techs and the customer service folks.  I have to say that everyone that I had contact with was great and very responsive.

Tier-2 agreed that my line stats didn’t look quite right so they did some remote testing at a time convenient for me and then promptly scheduled a premise tech for a visit. 

The first premise techs tool detected a fault 170’ from VRAD so he called in a line tech who arrived within an hour of him leaving.  The first line tech did some testing,  re-twisting of wires and crimping of connections but apparently didn’t turn anything up as my sync rate and stats stayed the same.  

The next morning I received a call from customer service to verify that everything was now in order, when they heard it was the same they immediately dispatched another line tech.  He did some extensive testing and wire clean-up between the VRAD and my house;  and while that didn’t resolve the issue he discovered an anomaly and asked to come inside to do some additional testing.  He found the following:

1. Sync rate (on test set) at the outside NID was 45Mbps but my RG was only syncing in the high 20’s. 
  2. Sync rate (on test set) at the inside NID, before the VDSL splitter was still 44 – 45mbps.
  3. Sync Rate (on test set) at the back of the RG was 37mbps.  (20ft cat-5 home run from splitter to RG)
  4. RG still syncing with a max rate in high 20’s. 

So, in the combination of the splitter and the 20’ cat-5 home run we were losing 7 - 8 Mbps according to the test set (which is somewhat high). However,  that didn’t explain the sizable difference in sync rate between what the test set read and what the RG got when attached to the same RJ-11 connector.  So, he swapped the splitter for another one he had on the truck and got the same results.  Based on that he concluded that something was wrong with the RG or home-run and also noted that I had an older model splitter (AFL SF-100).   He wrote-up his findings rolled the ticket back up to tier-2 for additional review. 

Tier-2 contacted me back about a day later and asked to do some additional testing.  Once that completed they scheduled a 2nd prem. tech to swap the RG and investigate the home run and other components.  Since they were going to replace it I requested it be swapped for a 3801 instead of a used 3800 to avoid more issues. 

The prem. tech arrived took a quick look at the outside wiring and then came in with the new 3801.  He swapped in the new RG and wasn’t expecting any difference – but with no other changes the sync rate jumped up by about 5 – 6Mbps.  Next he replaced the length of patch cable between the home-run and RG – no change in speed.  After a little convincing he swapped the old SF-100 splitter for the current model (AFL SLM-100) -- and the max rate on the RG jumped up by another 4 – 5 Mbps - we were both amazed by the increase. 

From what others have said, I expected the rate increase with the new model RG but its not clear whether both of the old model splitters were bad or if AFL just reduced the amount of attenuation and loss between models.  Either way, just something to keep in mind for anyone that might be having similar issues or are on the bottom edge of eligibility for a higher rate profile. 

Thanks again to all the techs that helped out, keep up the good work!  

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Excellent, glad everything turned out well.  Can you post another set of UVRT screen shots so we can see the difference?

Guru

• 

727 Messages

13 years ago

I'm seeing the same bitloading this too and My phone was acting up but the tv and net seemed ok I did do a system reset and now it appears to be ok now

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

13 years ago

SomeJoe,

Here's the UVRT screenshots using the 3801 after it was swapped in for the 3800 and the VDSL splitter was replaced.

3801HGV-Stats-2011-05-13-12-18-36 - After Repairs

3801HGV - Bitloading-2011-05-13-12-18-47 - After repair

And a link incase those aren't approved yet:

http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee430/JohnFoam1/?action=view&current=Stats-2011-05-13-12-18-36-after-repair3.png

http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee430/JohnFoam1/?action=view&current=Bitloading-2011-05-13-12-18-47-after-repair-3.png

2 Attachments

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

That Bitloading stat doesn't look normal IMO.  You can call ts and ask the csr to send a tech to check your services.  Others will be along to offer more sugestions.  You can use the number in my sig.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

I am on the 25/2 profile and have been very happy with the service and stability but I'd like to get the 32/5 profile so I can get 4HD streams.  I only have the U-verse TV package.  The UVRT recommends the 32/5 profile,  how do I go about convincing U-verse my line is 32/5 capable.

Hoping that SomeJoe or anyone can help me analyze these and advise.   Thanks

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Sorry for the small size:  A larger version:

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Have you tried calling Technical Support to request the upgrade to the 32/5 profile and the $ HD video profile?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.