For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Hammer38's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Friday, July 14th, 2017 6:05 PM

Getting Fiber Gigapower. Nighthawk x6 or supplied?

I've looked around some and haven't found this. I'm sure I missed it.
AT&T installer is here now installing Fiber. I already own a Nighthawk X6 that I've used with previous ISP.
What wifi is better? What is supplied or the X6?

Thank you!
RdS

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

The X6.  No reservations at all in saying that.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Interesting. Guess I will need to Google the "how to". I've seen some comments while looking that said there are some things to not do to make it as best as possible.

Thank you for your reply!
RdS

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

You basically have a choice as to whether to use your device as a Router or an Access Point.  Which you want to do depends on many factors, the first few I can think of being:

• Do you need to have one big network including devices connected to the AT&T gateway and your device (or potentially multiple devices connected to the Gateway)?
  • Do you want to use the routing or other security features of your router?
  • Which is faster processing the NAT traffic on packets?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Umm,
I will have multiple devices hooked up. Everything wifi, DIRECTV, 2 AppleTV's, PC, laptops, multiple phones, PS4, iPads and TV's. Obviously most won't be used simultaneously. Yes, would prefer to use the X6 security settings if possible. As you have realized... I'm just a novice to wifi and it's settings.
I know how to set up the names/passwords, if it's working and to reboot if it slows. That's about it. I'm sorry.

RdS

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

If someone is just getting a new wireless router for better Wi-Fi coverage, I encourage them to just set it up as an Access Point for simplicity.  Or if they want to use the U-verse Connected apps (the IP based remote control feature), it's a good idea.  But if you've already got a network configured behind a router, I'd say keep it that way and just put the Gateway in IP Passthrough/DMZ Plus mode.

See the solution in this thread for the basic steps of setting up the router behind the Gateway.  There are more detailed instructions for the various Gateways somewhere.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you again for the information!!! I'll see what happens! Hopefully I can accomplish this.
Again, thank you for taking time to respond!

RdS

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Well, so far it has been awful. Service didn't work. Finally figured out that the box mounted inside the panel that the fiber optic cable hooks into wasn't completely plugged in. So I got it working at least.
DL 30Mbps
UL 45Mbps

Hooked Nighthawk into back of modem. Didn't change any settings.
DL 52
UL 49

But for Gigapower 1000. I'm pretty upset.
I have had to use my COX internet that I haven't unhooked yet to contact AT&T and try to work on issues.

RdS

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Made all the changes as in the link above.
Speeds:
DL 58
UL 63

(Insert sad and frustrated face here)

RdS

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

First, are these speeds wired or wireless?

If wireless, check wired to be sure that you're getting what you're supposed to from the AT&T Gateway.

If wired, check connected to the Gateway directly and from the Nighthawk to see if there's any difference.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

A tech came out today and hard wired a couple areas. Speeds are pretty good wired. Both wifi routers aren't pushing the signal through very well. Maybe I expected too much from the wifi. I shut theirs off and only used the X6, when they came out they reset their router and turned the wifi back on. Both are putting out about the same, X6 a little better. I haven't had the time to mess with it much since he left. But I think I'm going to shut theirs off again and see if that improves mine even more... again.

I'll post back when I get the changes made again.

Thank you so much for your help!
RdS
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.