Gateway electro-magnetic interference?

Teacher

Gateway electro-magnetic interference?

I'm pretty new to this stuff but I was reading the other day that it's not good to have the gateway near any tv's, refrigerators etc etc. and I was having some problems with my network so now I'm determined on getting it in just the right spot. I was wondering, can it be near an unused outlet? i have my gateway/router placed right near an unused outlet as of now. -thanks

Message 1 of 4
Community Manager

Re: Gateway electro-magnetic interference?

I might be wrong about this, but I believe it has more to do with large metal or other electronic devices that might be shielding your gateway from some devices. I had an issue before where a microwave oven was in between my router and some gaming devices and my connection was very weak until I moved my router just a few feet and it all works fine now. My house is kind of long in its design, so I'm using a network extender to reach my basement, garage and yard. Having your gateway or router next to an unused outlet shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4
ACE - Expert

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

I might be wrong about this, but I believe it has more to do with large metal or other electronic devices that might be shielding your gateway from some devices. I had an issue before where a microwave oven was in between my router and some gaming devices and my connection was very weak until I moved my router just a few feet and it all works fine now. My house is kind of long in its design, so I'm using a network extender to reach my basement, garage and yard. Having your gateway or router next to an unused outlet shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Microwaves use frequencies (~2.45 GHz) near the 2.3 GHz range used by WiFi.  It means that the shielding in your microwave intended to keep you safe is also designed specifically to block WiFi traffic.  Similarly, a running microwave can cause interference with nearby networks.  Similar shielding in televisions, monitors, etc can also get in the way, as well as the electromagnetic fields produced by motors, etc.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 4
ACE - Guru

WIFI uses the 2.4 GHz frequency

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support