Gateway electro-magnetic interference?

Teacher

Gateway electro-magnetic interference?

I'm pretty new to this stuff but I was reading the other day that it's not good to have the gateway near any tv's, refrigerators etc etc. and I was having some problems with my network so now I'm determined on getting it in just the right spot. I was wondering, can it be near an unused outlet? i have my gateway/router placed right near an unused outlet as of now. -thanks

Message 1 of 4 (289 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Gateway electro-magnetic interference?

I might be wrong about this, but I believe it has more to do with large metal or other electronic devices that might be shielding your gateway from some devices. I had an issue before where a microwave oven was in between my router and some gaming devices and my connection was very weak until I moved my router just a few feet and it all works fine now. My house is kind of long in its design, so I'm using a network extender to reach my basement, garage and yard. Having your gateway or router next to an unused outlet shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4 (229 Views)
ACE - Expert

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

I might be wrong about this, but I believe it has more to do with large metal or other electronic devices that might be shielding your gateway from some devices. I had an issue before where a microwave oven was in between my router and some gaming devices and my connection was very weak until I moved my router just a few feet and it all works fine now. My house is kind of long in its design, so I'm using a network extender to reach my basement, garage and yard. Having your gateway or router next to an unused outlet shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Microwaves use frequencies (~2.45 GHz) near the 2.3 GHz range used by WiFi.  It means that the shielding in your microwave intended to keep you safe is also designed specifically to block WiFi traffic.  Similarly, a running microwave can cause interference with nearby networks.  Similar shielding in televisions, monitors, etc can also get in the way, as well as the electromagnetic fields produced by motors, etc.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 4 (227 Views)
ACE - Guru

WIFI uses the 2.4 GHz frequency

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4 (220 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.