cajunlady209's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Friday, January 4th, 2013 8:16 AM

Gateway 3600HGV Wireless green light not on and can't connect wirelessly

Every light is green and my internet service works fine except I can't connect wirelessly. The light has never come on.  While my computer itself shows my wireless connection as being good, I can't connect using the wireless key located on the side of the Gateway. I've even tried changing my wireless security key instead of using the default key.  Each time I try to connect, the failed connection warning comes on.  I've been working on this for 2 days and can't figure it out.  Any advice for me?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

If other computers also then are having problems, it is a problem with the RG. You can put in a ticket to have a new one sent to you. It should just take a couple of days to get the new one out to you, then you send the old one back.

You could also try getting a A/P like the Netgear WN802-200, like I did for my network. I have had no problems with it. We got to the point that we were moving too much from our old desktop to my son's new laptop, that it was a no brainer to get the Wireless-N A/P.

Some of our stuff is still on the RG that needs Wireless-B, so both are running, but most of the load is no the new A/P for the majority of our devices.

I think that I picked it up for about $90 on amazon.com a month ago, but the price is up to $151. Try the replacement RG first, then we can go from there.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

First of all, thank you so much for your help with this.  Smiley Happy

Because of your advice, I was able to troubleshoot and narrow it down to the RG.  I used online support and after an hour or so, the tech was able to reset the wireless encryption key from their end and then the green light came on.  My desktop, netbook and my daughter's laptop still wouldn't connect with the encryption key even though it showed the wireless was connected and working.  I remembered your advice about the WLAN card and mentioned it to the tech but he said it wasn't that since other devices couldn't work either. The tech also couldn't figure out what else was wrong so I decided to try one last experiment.  My son gave me an extra Cisco Linksys Adapter which I plugged into a USB port and Voila..instant wireless access using the security key.  Everything is working now.  YAY! 

You really are an ACE.:  I hope you have a good weekend!

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Do a reset on the gateway, by pressing and holding the reset button on the back. Most likely the Key got changed, or it could be a issue with your wifi card.

Can you connect your computer to other wifi access points, that have a key? Also, what operating system, and what manufacturer & model# of computer do you have?

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Hi. Thanks for answering. 

I've tried doing the reset. It's the first thing I tried when I was troubleshooting.  All the other lights go to green very quickly except the wireless.  Since the local ethernet light blinks while I'm using the computer, I thought the wireless light would come on when I was trying to access the wireless but it doesn't do anything.  I've tried our laptop and my son tried his smart phone wireless app but that wouldn't work. When I was DSL with AT&T, I had a Linksys router piggybacked on my old AT&T modem and it worked fine for wireless. 

I have a HP Pavilion P6000 Series desktop with the model #p66544.  The wireless Lan card is an 802.1 Ralink Technology, Corp.network adaptor.  The Device manager shows it's working properly.  The network 3 connection icon says the signal strength is good and has 4 green out of 5 signal strength bars.  When I go connect, the connect automatically window comes up and I'm prompted to enter in the security key which I do.  Then Windows was unable to connect to the 2Wire which leads to a troubleshooting window.  It says to investigate router issues and advises me to turn off the router for 10 seconds which I've done.  Yikers..it's driving me bonkers!!

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Try uninstalling any software and the drivers that came with the Wireless card. Leads me to believe, that it is a issue with the wireless card, not the router at this point.

Once you uninstall the software & drivers for the WLAN card, then reboot, Windows should ask or find the drivers, and then let Windows Wireless Zero Config do the work of handling the connection.

Also, may want to make sure that you have the RG set for Wireless-G, WPA-PSK(TKIP) & WPA2-PSK(AES), or even just set for WEP.

If none of that works, then get another Wireless card, such as a Netgear or DLink. Yes, there is junk hardware out there, and at times you need to keep that in mind.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for your advice. I'll try it and post back here whatever happens. Cross your fingers! Smiley Happy

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Here's the result:

I uninstalled the software and drivers for the wireless card.  Windows updated the drivers and the Wireless Zero config is set to automatic and the service status is automatically on start.  The wired autoconfig properties is set to automatic and the service status is automatically on start.  On the wireless command settings in the cmd, it shows Auto configuration logic is enabled on interface. On the 2 Wire settings, the Wireless Interface says enabled and the Wireless Protected set-up says enabled. The SSID is enabled and the authentication type is Default: WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES).  

Does this still sound like my wireless card isn't working properly? If so, I'll look for a new one.

Thanks for all your help.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Did it connect to the RG after all of that?

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

It keeps asking for the wireless network key.  Family members came over with laptops and netbooks which connect wirelessly in their homes and in internet cafes and tried to connect  to no avail.  Their notices say the network is locked and couldn't connect even though they tried the key password. My netbook and my daughter's laptop shows the 2wire network at 5 green bars signal strength but the notices also say it's locked.  I tried redoing the network key to a more personal one but that didn't work either.  Windows keeps trying to fix the router.  Even with attempting to connect to the network, no green light for wireless even though the local ethernet, phone line 1, broadband and service lights are all green.

Forgive my ignorance about wireless cards but wouldn't the family member computers be able to connect if it was only a problem with my card?  Could it still be a problem with the Gateway even with the other green lights working?

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

It worked for an hour but then the wireless became unstable on the RG.  It would work for 5 or 10 minutes  and then shut down only to come back up half an hour later.  It was hit and miss on my daughter's laptop and finally quit there also.  While the techs did activate the wireless encryption key, other devices still won't work.  It keeps saying the encryption key won't work on other devices. I talked with the techs on online support for hours and also troubleshooter until midnight last night at which time I threw up my hands in frustration.  I'm asking for a new RG and see how that goes.

Darn it..This is so frustrating!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.