dhascall's profile

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

Sunday, April 10th, 2011 2:55 PM

Frequent RG Resets - Oh, not again!

Wife informed that the service is "freezing up."  She is growing tired of this and so am I. 

Before posting my UVRT screens here are two observations:

1. I  have severe but wildly intermittent static on my AT&T POTS landline.

2. Since June 2010 my distance to VRAD has changed.  This morning it was 2600 but now it is showing 1700.  Odd.

3. An AT&T linesman has been in our neighborhood working on the line.  He noted that they were adding additional UV capacity.  Wonder if our pair got twisted with someone elses, again ?

NOTE: The first screen is from June 2010, the rest today.

Stats.jpgStats-2011-04-10-08-53-45.pngErrorTable-2011-04-10-08-55-26.pngInterfaces-2011-04-10-08-55-34.pngBitloading-2011-04-10-08-55-52.pngCoaxHPNA-2011-04-10-08-56-02.png

6 Attachments

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

It looks like there may be a bridge tap on your line. A bridge tap is an extra length of wire attached to your pair that doesn't terminate anywhere. It is usually left over from a previous customer that used your pair. Bridge taps cause problems with xDSL services.

You should call technical support, have them send a premises tech to your house to check the line. He should open a helper ticket with the Installation and Maintenance group (I&M), which are the linesmen, to come find and remove the bridge tap.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

286 Messages

13 years ago

@spd2demun wrote:

Why would he need to be moved after all this time?  Is this something we can expect after a few years?

IMHO i believe SomeJoe is right they need to try find him a dry pair. Depending on the age of the cable line he is on there is a definite possibility that parts of the cable have gone bad from weather, stress, or animal related issues, all you need is one little crack and water will find its way in and that can ruin a cable faster the anything.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

@Escapee wrote:

To put it short and sweet with Digital TV at your location it either works or it doesn't.

Dad lives near Cordova NC and normally needed an outside antenna to get the NYSC (analog) stations.  He got a converter box and with an INDOOR antenna, he got all kinds of stations.  However that was in the winter - once the trees started budding out, they became unwatchable.  I had to get him the basic TWC.

Back to the topic - look at how perfect my UVRT is now(ignore the left column (since Reset) as they were still taking it up and down).

ErrorTable-2011-05-02-14-09-47.png

1 Attachment

Official Solution

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

1:00 PM Premises Tech replaced a junction block (?) and then left saying that he was in contact with an I&R manager and that he should be on his way.

1:30 PT called from the road and said that he had "cleaned our pair up" on the NID and that I&R should be there in a few

2:00 PM I&R came, climbed up a pole for a few minuets and and quickly left, leaving with no explanation, POTS phone or UV.

2:20 He returned and spent an hour on the two closest poles to our home.

3:20 He came to our door and said that he twisted our pair tight and bypassed the terminal and that UV should be good to go.  He thinks that our internal POTS wiring could be the POTS static issue.

All seems good for now. Smiley Happy

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

Something's going on with UV, since more of us are seeing problems like this. Smiley Sad

That's the 1st thing I noticed, the change in your VRAD distance, Max Rate. and Noise Margins.

SomeJoe will be able to figure it out. Smiley Wink

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

Thanks SJ & Spd - a bridge tap sounds about right as a linesman has been in the hood this past week and has happened once before, I bet that they got our pairs crossed again.  Luckily no retrains in the last hour and a half.

EDIT - I jinxed it.  It retrained just now.  That is 4 in 2 and a half hours

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

Premisis tech is on his way - he does not think that it is a bridge tap but rather water or a short in the pair.  We'll see.  They are now saying "there may be a charge."  Musr be related to the truck roll fees that we are seeing.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

Good luck! 

I guess SJ was posting at the same time, when I made that comment...my bad. Smiley Wink

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

I wonder if this issue is happening with more and more subs because of update/upgrades ATT is rolling out?  It could be that the existing wiring and equipment that we have is not able to handle what ATT is doing.  Its kind of like supplying a new source of water through old pipes.  The pipes were fine with the older weaker source of water, but they can't handle the newer stronger source.  Just a thought.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

dhascall,

Can you repost a set of UVRT stats, bitloading, and errors?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.