orrml04's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, April 26th, 2012 1:08 AM

Firmware update for Motorola nvg510

Any one know when a firmware update will be available for the motorola nvg510. It's very frustrating piece of ###. The constant robbing of my browsers home page (Firefox and IE) because the device can't keep connection to the DNS servers 99.99.99.53 and 153. It has gotten very annoying. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the stupid thing from hijacking my home page url ???   "http://www.google.com/cgi-bin/redirect.ha" (this takes me to a bogus error message about phone lines)  takes a lot of wrangling to get it away from the device..

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

For 9 days from the Bonojur Service removal fix my connection worked entirely fine. Then this a.m. the red light was on in modem for service. Having gotten fed up waitng on hold for support, i realized the only thing I  hadn't tried was to change the DSL adapter that plugs in the phone outlet jack and connects PC and actual phone to my line. Once it rebooted this time with the new adapter/converter, it workes fine again. For what it's worth, there are gremlins in this machinery at times....

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

My ATT connection problem began when i upgraded from the 3 MB/S tier to the 12 MB/S tier. There was mention of that elsewhere being a factor in connection problems, so maybe there's somethign to that. Service dept was out many times trying things that would work, some for a while. But overall it improved from talking to the actual field technicians and listening to their answers to my questions and what they did helped in my case (by disconnecting an unused bedroom phone jack; they called it a T-trap or B-Trap or something electronic to it and that made mine work except -- ), but i still had this one annoying problem, that the phone tech support wanted fee based tech supoort for which i said no. I make this entry because i realized after i made the last one and shut off  my PC the red light was on modem again. So i knew -also due to high call volume in the middle of the USA night, that there had to be one of those occassional random outages going on when the red light was then last on. But beside this being a temporary probelm, -this type outage thing was always up again the next day. But i had this other totally annoying problem with my connection whenever i would seem to be online but not really - it wouldn't go where you wanted, the internet or email. This is where taking the Bonjour Service out solved the problem. The connection used to show up as a home and a public network/s at the same time until: --i had to disabled the connection and Windows 7 help wizards for Network Adapter and reset it and then it was up correct, showing home network only and working fine. Had to do this every time the PC booted or rebooted -- UNTIL I TOOK OUT THE BONJOUR SERVICE! It is still working fine. I wish i knew where i saw how to detect and take the Bonjour Service out step by step for you but i don't have that info. Maybe someone would like to post it, so others can try it? To see if this is really a step towards the solution of this problem...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Sadath,

Thank you for all of your assistance.

Your commitment to customer service is outstanding!

To my forum peers, Sadath worked off line with me, with

a deterimied resolve to fix my problem.  I have been up and

running for several weeks without incident now. 

-bob

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello Bob, thank you for stopping by to update us on your status. If you ever need anything in the future or have any questions, you know where to find us!

Thanks again,

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have U-Verse, an NVG510, and severe connectivity issues.  It will consistently drop connection when attempting to load any given page, or when launching (or playing) online games.

I've had 3 visits from technicians, each of which claimed a different cause and proposed solution for the inconsistent connection issues.  They've cleared up noise on the line directly outside of the house, and down the street where our phone line apparently connects to the larger network, but none of that has improved the connection at all.  Its to the point now that it cuts out a few times in any 5 minute period.

It would seem that members above got personal support from a representative, and I would appreciate if anyone available would assist.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Ruinari,

I apologize for all the inconveniences you are having with your service, but I will be glad to help out. I will have someone from our team send you a private message to gather your information and work with you further to resolve this issue.

-David T

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Just found this forum after 7 years of problems with my internet.  In 2006 I got DSL with SBC, any where up to 5 times a week I would have to reset the dsl modem so it would reconnect, repeated calls to SBC and visits still did not fix it.  Then ATT took over and I changed to U-Verse with the NVG510 and a 12mb line and phone about 1 year ago. LOL no change it got worse the problem was still there but with the NVG510 interface I saw it would not get past Authentication or IP checks. After ATT comming out and testing the line they found out that there was noise interfering with my internet connection. Also they found out that about 20+ years ago someone was told to remove and replace a connection up the street from me but they did not replace it because it was covered in an epoxy like substance, and in that connection my phone line split one goes to ATT and the other they have no idea where it goes but is the reason for my constant connection problems.  After me calling ATT multiple times it went to someone to get aproval to fix it finnaly, there idea of fixing it was putting in a filter as a temporary fix.  Well I still have to rest the modem weekly.

Someone posted about rooting the NVG510, yes it can be done, but why would you when it gets reset it reverts back to what ATT sends it when it connects.  There should be more user setting we can change, like the DNS servers for IPv4 and IPv6 and a way to put it in a true bridge mode without having to root it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm having a very similar issue myself.  Some nights (like tonight) my modem loses connection nearly a dozen times in a single evening.  I periodically must work from home, and these frequent losses of connection are very frustrating.  I've done some searching, and some folks indicated that a low SN Margin can cause issues with connectivity (mine is generally 6 or below).  Do I have any option other than calling support and waiting on hold forever?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I have cat5 wire installed.  I know for a fact the interferance is not due to anything in my house, because one of the many people you have sent out to my house disconnected my house completly from the phone box outside put a tone generator on it and tested the line at various points from my house to the main ATT building and thats when they found my problem that has been there for 20+ years.  I have had 1.5meg and 3meg DSL, 6meg and now 12meg U-Verse but the problem is still there.  The upload speed is way to slow on anything less than 12meg for having 4 computers up and running all the time.  It will not matter what speed I get and who from as long as they use the phone lines it will have nothing but problems.  If I try cable internet I would end up paying at least $40 or more for the same speed and options, and yes I have checked on it, and they have not fully upgraded there system where I live so getting a constant speed of 10meg or better is out of the question.  It would be nice to finnaly have the problem fixed that should have been fixed 20+ years ago instead of a temporary fix that still does not work.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

How do I set the DNS servers on the Modem?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.