Firmware update for Motorola nvg510

Tutor

Firmware update for Motorola nvg510

Any one know when a firmware update will be available for the motorola nvg510. It's very frustrating piece of ###. The constant robbing of my browsers home page (Firefox and IE) because the device can't keep connection to the DNS servers 99.99.99.53 and 153. It has gotten very annoying. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the stupid thing from hijacking my home page url ???   "http://www.google.com/cgi-bin/redirect.ha" (this takes me to a bogus error message about phone lines)  takes a lot of wrangling to get it away from the device..

Message 1 of 62 (136,306 Views)
Teacher

Re: Firmware update for Motorola nvg510

I quickly see this becoming a pass the buck thingy, After I finish final exams in college this week I am going to write a letter to AT&T along with documentation dates and times. This will be my first step. By reading some of the other posts I agree most techs that show up are Telephone maintenance old school techs , many have been working on phone lines before DSL was ever invented. The reason the techs blame the modem is they are seeing this about 70% of the time the come out to a call, either AT&T needs to train them or they need to be dispatching real IT tech to customers. But as I know in business running a company or corporation is always about capitalism and making a profit and tech support does not make profits. Marketing does.

Message 31 of 62 (10,912 Views)
Teacher

@Bauwls

Hello. I had a tech show up yesterday found some issues both in and out of the house , put in a dedicated line for IP DSL, checked for CRC errors, and took out the motorola NVG510 and gave me a IP DSL modem only Motorola model # 2210 , and I use a Cisco Linksys WRT54GS2 Router now. Its been 32 hours since and I am still up a runnig with no problems download speed 5.60 upload 0.72.

Message 32 of 62 (10,799 Views)
Teacher

Since using a Motorola DSL Modem 2210 and a Linksys Cisco N900 router I have not had any more drops what so ever.

Message 33 of 62 (10,667 Views)
Contributor

I recently had a problem with connectivity; my new macbook pro (Dec '12) recognizes the wirlless signal from my Motorola NVG510 modem/router, but has no connection to the Internet. It may come back in every so often, work for a while, then drop download speeds to dial-up levels, then go out again.

All green lights on the modem though, and my 2008 Macbook Pro and iPhone don't lose the Internet at all. I have noticed that my wife's iPad loses connection also infrequently, usually while streaming radio.

Apple looked at the laptop and couldn't find anything wrong; indeed when the new macbook uses other wireless connections it doesn't have ANY issue. Perfect performance. It's only when it's at home. 

Someone raised a point that multiple devices (we have 7) using the router could be creating a problem, but nothing else seems to be effected. They each have different IPs

So.... AT&T? Any thoughts? Beyond calling a tech, I don't know what to do.

Message 34 of 62 (10,508 Views)
Contributor

To solve the nvg510 redirect problem on a Windows 7 computer, I have found it necessary to:
1.  Disable IPV6 in the modem control pages, at Home Network>Config
2.  Delete all temporary internet files and history, etc.
3.  Close the browser.
4.  Open a command prompt and enter
ipconfig /flushdns
5. Try going to www.google.com to verify the problem is now gone (i.e. you are no longer redirected)
6. If desired, re-enable IPV6 in the modem controls

Message 35 of 62 (10,215 Views)
Contributor

2902 is the message I keep getting I need the update as well with uverse these modems suck when do the new ones get relesed and can you sign me up for them kudos 

Message 36 of 62 (9,494 Views)
Tutor

I just had my 3rd NVG two weeks ago.  Still getting a flashing green service led in the mornings, rendering it useless.

My contract ends in January, and if there is not any substantial increase in realiablity, Cox Cable here I come.

Yeah they suck too, but I will just have to deal with throtteling issues rather than crap equipment.

Message 37 of 62 (9,236 Views)
Tutor

Same again this morning. took an hour of trying to fix it using the diagnostics. Finally had to unplug it again. ATT, can you advise what to do? Had techs out 3 times already.
Message 38 of 62 (9,219 Views)
Employee

Hello rp123,

I'm sorry about the trouble you are experiencing with your Internet service and the NVG510. I am understanding the green service LED light on the gateway begins blinking then results in loss of services. I can help you investigate the cause of this and coordinate a resolution. I have sent you a private message to gather more details to locate your account and perform some tests that will help isolate the source of trouble.

SadathCS

ATTU-verseCare

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 39 of 62 (9,196 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I had this same problem for 18 months with my ATT U-verse connection. A friend who is an IT Professional gave it his best troubleshooting it, finding this forum in the process and still not resolving the problem. Few days ago I found a related web article that really did / has fixed these connection problems. It was fixed by shutting off a running service known as Bonjour Service. It's an Apple program the article said that ends up in our PCs and reaks havoc with connections. So I was able to shut off and disable Bonjour Service and the connection ever since has come up clean on boot or reboots numerous times since. I cannot tell you how to shut off Bonjour or see if it is on your PC, nor did I catch the address of the webpage that told me this. But if you can do so by Googling, this will solve the problem as it did for me. Hope it works for you too....

Message 40 of 62 (8,983 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I still get this  error even when att has came out 6 times to fix my line [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. I hate att

Message 41 of 62 (8,912 Views)
Tutor

For 9 days from the Bonojur Service removal fix my connection worked entirely fine. Then this a.m. the red light was on in modem for service. Having gotten fed up waitng on hold for support, i realized the only thing I  hadn't tried was to change the DSL adapter that plugs in the phone outlet jack and connects PC and actual phone to my line. Once it rebooted this time with the new adapter/converter, it workes fine again. For what it's worth, there are gremlins in this machinery at times....

Message 42 of 62 (8,860 Views)
Tutor

My ATT connection problem began when i upgraded from the 3 MB/S tier to the 12 MB/S tier. There was mention of that elsewhere being a factor in connection problems, so maybe there's somethign to that. Service dept was out many times trying things that would work, some for a while. But overall it improved from talking to the actual field technicians and listening to their answers to my questions and what they did helped in my case (by disconnecting an unused bedroom phone jack; they called it a T-trap or B-Trap or something electronic to it and that made mine work except -- ), but i still had this one annoying problem, that the phone tech support wanted fee based tech supoort for which i said no. I make this entry because i realized after i made the last one and shut off  my PC the red light was on modem again. So i knew -also due to high call volume in the middle of the USA night, that there had to be one of those occassional random outages going on when the red light was then last on. But beside this being a temporary probelm, -this type outage thing was always up again the next day. But i had this other totally annoying problem with my connection whenever i would seem to be online but not really - it wouldn't go where you wanted, the internet or email. This is where taking the Bonjour Service out solved the problem. The connection used to show up as a home and a public network/s at the same time until: --i had to disabled the connection and Windows 7 help wizards for Network Adapter and reset it and then it was up correct, showing home network only and working fine. Had to do this every time the PC booted or rebooted -- UNTIL I TOOK OUT THE BONJOUR SERVICE! It is still working fine. I wish i knew where i saw how to detect and take the Bonjour Service out step by step for you but i don't have that info. Maybe someone would like to post it, so others can try it? To see if this is really a step towards the solution of this problem...

Message 43 of 62 (8,698 Views)
Tutor

Sadath,

Thank you for all of your assistance.

Your commitment to customer service is outstanding!

To my forum peers, Sadath worked off line with me, with

a deterimied resolve to fix my problem.  I have been up and

running for several weeks without incident now. 

-bob

Message 44 of 62 (8,543 Views)
Community Manager

Hello Bob, thank you for stopping by to update us on your status. If you ever need anything in the future or have any questions, you know where to find us!

Thanks again,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 45 of 62 (8,479 Views)