fig95's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, February 11th, 2010 12:21 AM

External Hard Drive

I have done some searching and I know that you can not add a external hard drive to the DVR.  I have seen post as far back as 2008 wishing for this.  Anyone know if this is in the works?

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

12 years ago

By the way, i have a new vip2250 and it has an eSATA port on the back, see pic HERE   (not my receiver)

This could open the door for people w/ newer DVR's to add a faster HDD in anticipation of this feature.

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

To add to SomeJoe7777's post, You can plug in devices to charge with the USB ports; however with some devices your STB will likely (VIP12xx series, untested with 22xx) freeze requiring reboot. Sometimes Windows CE knows a device has been inserted.

About USB/eSATA support, for the serious TV junkies they would want to use those ports so why not enable them. mmm offline internal backup

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Is there any news on the development of being able to offload programs from the DVR to an external device. I am still waiting for this, would really love to see it available.  I am amazed more folks aren't screaming for this feature, after all, competetors are using it as a selling point.  Smiley Mad

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Both Brighthouse and Directv recievers have their e-sata ports enabled for the customer to add external harddrives. Having just switched to AT&T Uverse I am totally impressed with the system. Perfection would be obtained with activation of the e-sata port.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

I've been using this for years...first with Dish now with ATT. 

@TroulHawk wrote:

Is there any news on the development of being able to offload programs from the DVR to an external device. I am still waiting for this, would really love to see it available.  I am amazed more folks aren't screaming for this feature, after all, competetors are using it as a selling point.  Smiley Mad

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Hi, i see it's been since August that someone posted on this thread. I'm thinking about switching from Directv to Uverse and this is a huge sticking point for me, I have a 1TB eSata drive attached to both of my Directv DVRs and therefore tons of room for recording. It will be really hard to give up that adddtional space by switching and though i want to, it is holding me back.

I've seen sightings of an eSata port on Uverse receivers in this forum, any updates on if it has been enabled for external drive functionality yet? Thanks. 

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

None right now and AT&T wouldn't announce anything until after it's been released.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

The USB port is for u-verse to use for testing or maintenance ...I wish that we would use it to attach extra storage .

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Wow!!! This is my first post on ATT and it looks like the same issue I'm wondering about has been a VERY LONG-STANDING issue with a lot of people. I guess the first question is whether anyone from ATT is even reading this stuff and, if so, what is so difficult with enabling the USB port for external drive accommodation when other providers are already doing it? Is ATT leading edge or is it not?????

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I had dish and used an external hard drive.  When the drive was first plugged in the DISH DVR did a proprietary reformat that could only be read by the DISH DVR box.  A PC was unable to read and access the drive without a reformat by Windows.

ATT customers should not be restricted from adding external hard drives.  We need more space for our viewing pleasure.  This technology is readily available for ATT to utilize and provide for its loyal customers. It is being utilized by other providers and can be attained by ATT.

When my ATT tech hooked up my VIP2250 box, he told me that I could use an external hard drive, but I see that it wasn't true which disappoints me.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.