Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Extend wifi coverage, several options...help?

Highlighted
Tutor

Extend wifi coverage, several options...help?

Hi, I hope someone can help me extend my wifi signal. I have several options **see below**, but no idea if any of them will work.

Here's the deal: I used to have a set up (no idea what the boxes were called since at&t guy took them) where I was able to used Amped Wireless AP300 with Trendnet TPL-406E. Perfect range for MONTHS.

Then Uverse started acting up, picture would pixelate, lose signal and have to reboot etc. Tech guy here for hours. Finally just hard wired the master bedroom Cisco and called it good. Needless to say, didn't fix the problem. Second Tech came: said our main modem was old and set up a RG with modem inside, and unplugged our AW & Trendnet. Basically said "sorry, not sorry, these won't work anymore".

Yes, it did fix the uverse issues, BUT I'm extremely frustrated that he took away my range extender as I needed it in the first place! We had it set up as TV/Internet was one SSID-password & the extender was another SSID-password. With the new RG we only have the one SSID now. When I plug the AW/T back in (just for giggles) it messes up the tv again.

Hopefully someone can help me get it back to the way it was - please help knowing I am NOT tech savvy.

Here's my set up:

Downstairs: full wired set up (beginning point for everything else)

RG 5268AC hard wired to outside

Uverse Cisco ISB7500 box to smart tv

Motorola WAP VAP2500 (I assume for the upstairs wireless boxes)

Upstairs:

1st bedroom:

Cisco wireless tv reciever box ISB7005

Master bedroom:

Cisco IPN330HD hard wired to outside

Family room:

Cisco ISB7005 wireless

**I still have the Amped Wireless & Trendnet, but I also have a Motorola style MIPDSLA, an old Cisco Linksys E1000, a Netgear Wireless-G Router WGR614** I am not using any of these currently and wondered if one or the other would work?

Or I wonder if I can take the downstairs Motorola WAP VAP2500 and connect to the hardwired box in master bedroom - would that extend the range to the farthest point across entire house?

Please help me figure this out in the simplest way possible. Thanks, Linda

Message 1 of 8
Professor

Re: Extend wifi coverage, several options...help?

In reviewing the setup instructions for the Amped Wireless AP300 it appears that it is just an Access Point (AP) that you cable up to an Ethernet port of the RG 5268AC but that won't extend your range.

The Trendnet TPL-406E is a device to extend an Ethernet network using your electrical wiring, so you need a pair or more to work.

Everything supplied by AT&T is to support your televisions.

You want to extend the RG's WiFi range but I am confused as to what you want to use the WiFi for. If it's for a PC then a simple device like a Netgear N300 should work. Can you explain a little further please.

Thank you @ApexRon for your quick reply.

What I want is to have wifi extended for internet access in the farthest part of my home/garage which I used to achieve with the Amped Wireless & 2 Trendnet plug ins, using 2 different SSIDs / passwords.

Since Tech came and took my old 2Wirexxx and separate modem and replaced it with the RG5268AC with a built in modem, we were left with only 1 SSID / password, and the signal does not reach where it used to.

I want to connect tablets & laptops wirelessly to internet but we have no wifi signal in the back area of house & the garage where hubby needs to get online (with tablet & PC) to get in car forums for his racecar work.

I want the wifi extended, and ideally I'd like to do it with the items that I have if possible?? Is there a way with my RG to use the Amped Wireless and the 2 Trendnet plugins on a different frequency?? so it doesn't interfere with the uverse tv service??

OR can I move the downstairs Motorola WAP VAP2500 and connect to the hardwired box in master bedroom - would that extend the range?

Hope that helps!

Message 3 of 8
Professor

I looked at the products you mentioned and perhaps others may disagree with me but I would connect a Trendnet TPL-406E via an Ethernet cable to the RG 5268AC. Then I would put the other Trendnet TPL-406E at a point in the middle of the area with no or poor WiFi signal from the RG 5268AC. To the second Trendnet TPL-406E connect the Amped Wireless AP300 with an Ethernet cable. The Trendnet to Trendnet connection will act as a long Ethernet cable. This should work but someone would have to have skills to setup and troubleshoot.

If the U-verse TV signal is impacted with this setup there maybe WiFi channel contention. There are WiFi channel/signal apps that will show you what channels are being used. I use something called WiFi Explorer on my Mac.

Ok yes!! That is exactly how I set it up before: The Trendnet hard wired to the stand alone modem downstairs and then put in a plugin there. Placed the Amped Wireless in the upstairs laundry room and hard wired it to the 2nd Trendnet and plugged it in socket. This gave me GREAT reception EVERYWHERE.

Problem is: If I plug it all back in like I had before and as you stated - It automatically logged into the 2nd SSID (the old one before the new RG with user name as Watchingu) and created the tv problem again. How I know this is by calling the Tech when tv kept cutting out and he immediately asked me if I'd plugged it in again because he saw it being used. So he told me to unplug it all if I wanted tv.

What I need to know, is how to configure it without competing with the tv/uverse?? I will look into the WiFi channel/signal apps you mentioned, I guess to see if I can put the Amped & Trendnet on a different channel?? Or maybe get help on configuring a different set up. IDK.

I'm sorry to be such a problem! Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 8
Tutor

Can you tell me if the Motorola WAP VAP2500 that is downstairs hard wired to the RG is the "communication" for the wireless tv boxes upstairs? Or is the RG used for that?

Reason I'm asking is can I just move the Motorola WAP VAP2500 up to the Cisco IPN330HD box in the master bedroom? Would it work as a 'better wifi signal' for the garage then? If not, could I set up the amped wireless and trendnets through the WAP with it moved upstairs?

Does any of this make sense?

Message 6 of 8
Professor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by LindaH416
‎10-28-2016 3:40 PM

Do not move any of the AT&T supplied equipment.

I suspect that when you attempt to plug in the equipment you are injecting a duplicate IP address into the network.

It does not appear that the Trendnet TPL-406E has any IP addressing. Plug in both Trendnet TPL-406E with no cabling and confirm that U-verse continues to work. Advise if not.

Now cable the Trendnet TPL-406E to the Pace 5268AC and confirm that U-verse continues to work. Advise if not.

Power up the Amped Wireless AP300 but do not plug in Ethernet cable and confirm that U-verse continues to work. Advise if not.

Now you're going to have to find out what IP addresses are in use. Make sure that all the AT&T supplied equipment is turned on. Using a web browser login to the Pace 5268AC and write down all the IP addresses on Settings/LAN/LAN IP Address Allocation screen.

Now your going to have to use a web browser to login to the Amped Wireless AP300 and configure. Use an IP address that was not written down; probably something like 192.168.1.xxx with a mask of 255.255.255.0. The Pace 5268AC usually has an IP address of 192.168.1.254.

Once you have successfully completed all those steps plug in the Ethernet cable between the Amped Wireless AP300 and theTrendnet TPL-406E and confirm that U-verse continues to work. Advise if not.

You should now have a working internet WiFi network.

Thank you for your time in this! Here are the results:

Both Trendnet plugged in (no cabeling): Uverse not affeced

Trendnet plugged into Pace: Uverse not affected

Power to Amped Wireless, no ethernet: Uverse not affected BUT the second wireless network that I used to have for this AW/Trendnet setup appeared in range "Imwatchingu: saved and secured" on my phone

There were 15 IP addresses listed there: from 192.168.1.65 thru 192.168.1.107

65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 75 76 78 79 80 81 107

You said "Now your going to have to use a web browser to login to the Amped Wireless AP300 and configure. Use an IP address that was not written down; probably something like 192.168.1.xxx with a mask of 255.255.255.0. The Pace 5268AC usually has an IP address of 192.168.1.254."

I think the AW is already 'configured' since it shows up on my phone as wifi option, I get that I won't get conectivity until it is connected to gateway but that's where the whole problem started. The tech changed to the gateway with the internal modem and nothing I do allows me to use the range extender now. Over $160 wasted. At least when I had the old 2Wire and separate modem everything worked fine!! That's why I was hoping for a work-around.

I can't figure out how to log in to the amped wireless (nothing I try has worked) so I will mark your last answer as solved, since I think that word have worked were I able to continue. I'll move on to the amped wireless or trendnet forums I guess.

Thank you VERY MUCH for all that you've helped me try to do!!

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support