Ethernet Port on 2nd Uverse Box

Contributor

Ethernet Port on 2nd Uverse Box

Hello,

I just recently bought Google Chromecast (CC) and am having issues with the WiFi strength.  For some reason the CC requires a very strong signal to work correctly.  I am trying to figure out the best way to increase the WiFi strength and was remembering that the Uverse box in the room with CC has an ethernet port.  Could I use that port to plug a WiFi extender into to improve the signal?  The Uverse box receives its signal from the main box (in the back room) via COAX.  The setup would be COAX->Uverse box->Ethernet port->Wifi Extender.

Does this seem like a reasonable option?  Many thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 10 (6,117 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Ethernet Port on 2nd Uverse Box

You can always use one of these to solve your problem.  I understand it's very easy to deploy.

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2990041&q_sku=sku6610387&q_manufactu...=

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10 (6,093 Views)
ACE - Expert

pppebble88 - BeeBee's suggestion is a good one for simple and inexpensive extension of the wireless signal.

Your original proposal is also possible, but the setup of the wired repeater could be complicated. Also, you do not want to overload that STB network port. You intent is to use it only for chromecast but going wireless from it opens the door to other uses.

I am surprised that the chromecast does not have a wired network connection. I guess they had a price point that did not allow one and wireless is more "latest technology". Have you considered a device that does have a network connection? You will have to reanalyze your choice. Does Roku satisfy your needs? If the chromestar can be returned or applied to a different TV, you could get a Roku & a cat5 cable & connect it to the STB as you described. Since it is a direct connection & you would be watching either the Roku or the STB you would not overwhelm the STB. Just be sure the Roku model meets your needs & has a network jack.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10 (6,075 Views)
ACE - Expert

I was just reading the October 2013 issue of Sound & Vision Mag. on page 26 it has an article on the western Digital media player. It has a lot of advantages, including a network jack for $70. It does have a big disadvantage if you want Amazon VOD, it is not there.

Just another possibility to view media on the TV.
Message 4 of 10 (6,029 Views)
ACE - Expert

You do not want to connect a wireless access point/router/repeater on the ethernet port of a Coax fed TV, or in any other way connect a wireless access point/router/repeater to the same RG output as a DVR or STB, unless it is a very special device that understands IGMPv3 and will not attempt to broadcast the IPTV multicast traffic.

Message 5 of 10 (6,009 Views)
Contributor

Can you explain this? I have tried to do this and ran into the exact things you describe - is there any way to extend my wifi network through these access points? It's this or wire my home for ethernet (ugh).

Message 6 of 10 (4,084 Views)
ACE - Expert

The Wireless Router or Access Point chokes when it sees multicast traffic used for IPTV.  If you left all of your coax-connected TV Recievers off when using the Wireless Access Point and turned off the Access Point whenever using any of the coax-connected TV receivers it would be okay.  But that's hardly doable, is it?

You could use a pair of Power Line adapters to feed your Wireless Access Point rather than run the Cat 5e.

Message 7 of 10 (4,082 Views)
Contributor

Power Line adapters are sub-par to say the least... but thanks for
explaining. Now I understand why I've had so much trouble!!
Message 8 of 10 (4,081 Views)
ACE - Expert

Some powerline adapters work very well in some houses.  Some don't work well in any house, and even good ones struggle in some houses due to the power distribution components.  Idealy you want both adapters on the same circuit.

You can get more than 100 Mbps throughput through some of them, which is about what you get from the HPNA over Coax you've been trying to use.

Message 9 of 10 (4,077 Views)
Employee

We have the same issue with my daughter using her Apple Ipad and weak Wifi signal in her bedroom. Is it possible to connect a ROKU with Ethernet connection to the Uverse network port in her bedroom, and then connect a Wifi extender to the the ROKU to boost the signal?

Thanks,

Mark

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 10 (1,263 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.