J.L.Miller's profile

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

Monday, November 5th, 2012 5:23 PM

Erratic TV Reception with DVR behind Router behind 3801HGV

I recently added a new router (Asus RT-AC66U) behind my 2Wire 3801HGV residential gateway by following SomeJoe7777's *very* helpful post:

(http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755).

After doing so, Internet and all devices worked fine with the exception of my DVR - a Scientific Atlanta ISB7500).  With it connected to one of the new rtouter's ports, I was able to verify that it acquired an IP address from the router (which is on a different LAN segment than the RG); however, after about a minute, the DVR reported loss of signal.  Switching to another channel restored operation for about a minute, after which signal loss was reported again.
I found that I was able to restore TV operation by plugging the DVR into one of the RG ports, thus bypassing the router.  For several reasons, I would like to have everything (including the DVR) on the new router.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

You may not connect the DVR or any STB (or the transmitter for a wireless STB) behind your own router.

They must be connected to the RG, or to a switch connected to an RG port.  They must get DHCP addresses from the RG, and be able to properly get multicast traffic and IGMP packets to and from the RG.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks, JefferMC, for your clear and complete response - even though it wasn't the answer I had hoped for.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Also, it is not Scientific Atlanta that makes the boxes, but Cisco & Motorola. Cisco ate up SA back in 2006, when the deal finally closed.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

gregzoll_1 - yes, you're right. My bad...
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.