Erratic TV Reception with DVR behind Router behind 3801HGV

Highlighted
Voyager

Erratic TV Reception with DVR behind Router behind 3801HGV

I recently added a new router (Asus RT-AC66U) behind my 2Wire 3801HGV residential gateway by following SomeJoe7777's *very* helpful post:

(http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

After doing so, Internet and all devices worked fine with the exception of my DVR - a Scientific Atlanta ISB7500).  With it connected to one of the new rtouter's ports, I was able to verify that it acquired an IP address from the router (which is on a different LAN segment than the RG); however, after about a minute, the DVR reported loss of signal.  Switching to another channel restored operation for about a minute, after which signal loss was reported again.
I found that I was able to restore TV operation by plugging the DVR into one of the RG ports, thus bypassing the router.  For several reasons, I would like to have everything (including the DVR) on the new router.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5 (2,383 Views)
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author J.L.Miller
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Erratic TV Reception with DVR behind Router behind 3801HGV

You may not connect the DVR or any STB (or the transmitter for a wireless STB) behind your own router.

They must be connected to the RG, or to a switch connected to an RG port.  They must get DHCP addresses from the RG, and be able to properly get multicast traffic and IGMP packets to and from the RG.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (2,379 Views)
Voyager

Thanks, JefferMC, for your clear and complete response - even though it wasn't the answer I had hoped for.
Message 3 of 5 (2,345 Views)
Professor

Also, it is not Scientific Atlanta that makes the boxes, but Cisco & Motorola. Cisco ate up SA back in 2006, when the deal finally closed.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

gregzoll_1 - yes, you're right. My bad...
Message 5 of 5 (2,250 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.