atjaywalker's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, December 15th, 2011 4:33 PM

Closed

Edit Device Name missing on 3801HGV

I have lots of devices listed on my 3801hgv Residential Gateway (RG) and only one has the "Edit Name" link on the LAN -> Status tab.  I've tried other browsers and checked other dialog tabs with no luck.  Has anyone been able to force the Edit Name link to appear?  Other devices only have a read-only "Device Details" link in the device list.  Thanks!

PS - The 3801HGV firmware is currently: 6.3.7.40

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

If you go to http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_0 (that's the status page under Settings:LAN)

then click on the device details the device that you want to rename.

You will find a address on browser something like this

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_0a&NODEID=0

replace C_2_0a with C_2_0b then press enter.

it will work 100%

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

Not every device can have the name edited on the RG.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks G!  There must be something specific to the RG's handling of each device, since most all of the devices have at one point had a Edit Name link and now they don't.  

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

I am experiencing the same thing with my 3801. I have a total of seven devices, so it would be great to be able to name them. I do remembering being able to name them with my old 3800. I wonder if giving the devices fixed IP addresses would make any difference.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I think I'm making progress.  I toggled the Show/Hide Inactive Devices button above the Device list on the Settings -> LAN tab and the Edit Name is back.  See if that works for you.  If it doesn't, I had also clicked the Clear List button below the Device list.  Then as devices come back into the list, you may need to toggle the Show/Hide button.

G. was correct, I have 1 device so far that can't be renamed, which was always the case for that device.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

I tried toggling the show/hide button for the device list on the LAN settings page. Still don't see "edit name" except for 1 device out of 8 total. I'm a little afraid to hit the "clear list" button. Will I lose anything?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

No, it will all come back as devices connect back in.  You can print off the information as a reference.

P.S. - I have 15 devices (2-can't be edited and have an unknown name and currently only 5 have an Edit Name link of the 15).  It would be nice if ATT provided a fix.

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

It is a problem with the device, not with the RG. I know that our Xbox-360 comes up unknown. Also, if the device allows for naming, it would not need to be renamed on the RG.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Agreed, some devices won't ever get to be renamed, like my OOMA VOIP box or your XBox.  However, the same type of device should be handled the same.  I have 2 MBP laptops, one has been successfully renamed, the other remains Unknown without a Edit Name link.  In another example, I have renamed a Verison Extender device successfully, but now the name is listed as None.

It's fair to say that the ATT RG could handle the Edit Name better than it currently does.  Perhaps the next firmware update might address this.  If there is a way to submit a bug report or propose a change, that might get something started.

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

Again, it has nothing to do with the RG, it is a issue with the device in how it handles DNS name scheme. A firmware update is not going to change what the device manufacturer does to their device.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.