kaymarallen45's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, January 15th, 2015 10:01 PM

Dry Loop for phone line

I'm trying to port my phone number to Ooma.  Ooma, in their instrucitons, said I had to ask AT&T for a dry loop DSL.

My question is: Does anyone know what a dry loop is?

Is it required for a phone number transfer?

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

At its simplest definition, Dry Loop DSL, also called Naked DSL, means that you have a DSL connection without an accomanying phone service.

It is wired, and looks identical to a regualar pots phone connection, but an extra connector in your outside phone box. It runs thru a regular phone line, and one usualy has to use in line filters to seperate the voice signals from the data signals.

The short answer is IF it is already available in your area, you can get DSL without home phone service. BUT, and keep in mind, I do not work for AT&T and I am ONLY giving my opinion, I am not sure that you can order a DSL connection with the intent of not becomming a DSL AT&T internet customer.

On the other hand, maybe you CAN get them to install the equipment, but not connecting you. They WILL chage for it, and since you would not become an AT&T customer, I expect that it would also not be cheap.

There are rules that say, AT&T does have to allow third party service providers to use AT&T (and other companies) equipment and connections to provide service, but that usualy means, thru stuff already installed.

Snmce you are asking for a new install by AT&T so someone else can use it, I honestly have no clue what the rules are in that case.

Hope this helps. And ya know, I had to google dry loop to find out what it meant, so you helped ME to learn a new term.  Thx.   Good luck, and please, let us know your results.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for getting right back to me??!!

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

Odds are, due to recent changes in company polocy, it is unlikly you would now be able to change your service, as ATt is starting to deny new service in old copper wired bell systems.

But, hopefully, you were able to get a dry loop connection when it was still available.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

We live in a rural area, and U-verse is the only DSL broadband available to us.  The max speed we can even pay for is 6 mbps.  They won't allow us to upgrade our plan.   I have some cabins on our property (different service address) for which we'd like to get another line of U-verse service.  AT&T keeps saying that it's not available at this address.  I know that isn't true because the cabins would feed from the same line as the house.  Could this be what's going on?  Could it be that AT&T could be just denying new service in our area?  If so, do you know if there is a way for me to find out exactly what the deal is?  Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.