Racqueteer's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, July 31st, 2013 11:53 AM

Does Netgear 7550 gateway support Wireless Distribution system

I am trying to use the Netgear 7550 gateway as a base station with a wireless repeater (Netgear WNDR4500v2).  Does the Netgear 7550 with the AT&T firmware support a Wireless distribution system (WDS)?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@Racqueteer wrote:

I am trying to use the Netgear 7550 gateway as a base station with a wireless repeater (Netgear WNDR4500v2).  Does the Netgear 7550 with the AT&T firmware support a Wireless distribution system (WDS)?

Technically speaking the 7550 does not have to support WDS because it is your gateway and/or main access point. The 4500 is basically the same thing, but without the proprietary firmware, and it's the 4500 that needs to support WDS because it needs to be both a wireless client to connect to the 7550, and a wireless access point to redistribute the 7550's network which it does through it's wireless repeater mode. Problem is, it will only do this through an insecure (WEP or lower), 54 Mbs connection. If you want a full speed, and secure, wireless repeater/extender, you need to buy one, or see if there's a newer, or aftermarket firmware for the 4500 that addresses this connection issue in repeater mode.

Now if you can connect the 4500 to the 7550 with an ethernet (CAT5/6) cable, then you can either disable the 7550's wireless and use the 4500's wireless only or run both wireless networks (with different SSID of course).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the clarification

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@Racqueteer wrote:
Thanks for the clarification

No problem. Stop back if you have any other questions or need help with configuration.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.