Doby's profile

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, July 18th, 2013 11:35 PM

Does AT&T offer a wireless n RG to replace wireless g i38HG RG?

I want to increase the speed of the wireless network within my home. I have the i3812V iNID outside and have the 18 mbps service. I know the service speed from AT&T cannot be increased by changing to wireless n within my home, but it should do wonders inside, So, does AT&T offer a wireless n RG to replace wireless g i38HG RG?

Also, if I get a wireless receiver will it work on wireless n? 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

TO: my thoughts 

Can you explain in simple, somewhat non-technical terms the following?:

Currently have Uverse Internet with a 2Wire479 (3801hgv) (with Download Speed up to 24 Mbps) and a traditional landline. If it matters, I do not have Uverse TV or Uverse Phone.

* Does the NVG589 only work with fiber optic networks? 

* What really makes the determination of whether it would work or not? 

* If a profile has to be "changed" what does that really mean?

TIA

edits in red

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@BobLouder wrote:

Currently have 2Wire479 (3801hvg) (with Download Speed up to 24 Mbps) and traditional landline. 

It works with Fiber Optic networks in the same way that the 3801hvg you have now does.  It will work over one (or two pair, which your 3801hvg doesn't do) copper pairs or will connect to a fiber ONT on your home using Twisted Pair cabling.

I don't understand this question.

The VRAD and RG (meaning the 3801 or 589) use the frequencies in an arrangement that is called a profile; this profile is determined by AT&T and configured on your account.  The profile is normally determined by the assumed quality of the lines going to your house and by what services you need.  Three examples:  12 Mbps Internet only customers are likely to get a profile that provides less than 20 Mbps of raw data rate; a long 2800' loop between the VRAD and the RG may require a profile that avoids high frequencies that attenuate out faster (25/3); a short loop of 500' with IPTV service will currently get a high-bandwidth 32/5 Mbps profile.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@BobLouder wrote:

Currently have 2Wire479 (3801hvg) (with Download Speed up to 24 Mbps) and traditional landline. 

TIA

The NVG589 will work with fiber optic right to your house (FTTP) or the more common fiber to the node.

As long as you have a VDSL signal (3600, 3800, 3801, i3812, 5031 RGs) then it would work.

A profile being changed means that the amount of bandwidth coming to your RG is changed. You have an internet speed of 24/3, so your RG must be on a 32/5 profile. This means your RG is linked up with the system at 32Mb down and 5Mb up. This is getting is split between TV, VOIP, and internet.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

JefferMC,

Thanks for that info.  Previously, I've gotten different information from different people and between your answer and the next, I think I got the answer to *What really makes the determination of whether it would work or not?".  By that I meant ... is it the type of connection (fiber vs copper), type of connection to a certain point (to the house), possibly limitations to my profile (which I did not understand before these new posts), etc.  I was told this morning (Tier 1) that my neighborhood had to be on fiber for it to work. If I am reading these posts correctly, that is not the case.  In the past I had two traditional phone lines, but technically, I'm sure how that is configured inside my house, but it doesn't appear to matter.  Recently, a AT&T tech mentioned that my profile might need to change ... I cannot remember why he suggested that was the case ... but we were in a conversation regarding the 589, and wireless N in my house.

The bottom line is that there doesn't appear to be any technical reason that the Motorola NVG589 wouldn't work in my house.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

drumboy35,

Thanks for that info ...

RE: "As long as you have a VDSL signal (3600, 3800, 3801, i3812, 5031 RGs) then it would work."

So, there doesn't appear to be a technical reason (fiber vs copper, "bonded pair", 2 wires versus 4 wires, current profile, etc) that the Motorola NVG589 wouldn't work in my house. 

If there are other possible technical reasons, let me know and I will post more info on my current config.

If it matters, I do not have Uverse TV or Uverse Phone.

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

I'm starting to see where you're going, I think.

There does not need to be fiber to your home for the NVG 589, but you do need to be within 5000 feet (as the wires run) of a VRAD, which is itself served by fiber.  What they may have meant is that you need to have fiber run to your neighborhood (i.e. to a VRAD in your neighborhood) so that you can get the VDSL2 flavor of U-verse.

There's another thing called U-verse, which is ADSL2+ based, and customers can be served on loops much longer than 5000' from the equipment.  In a large number of cases, these subscribers are still served from the Central Office, though the cards for this IPDSLAM ADSL2+ can be installed in a VRAD).  This flavor of U-verse uses different modems (i.e. not the NVG 589/2WIRE 3600,3800,3801, but the NVG 510, e.g.) and does not currently offer IPTV.

There are some modems that handle either ADSL2+ and VDSL2 (not at the same time, but could be used for either), however, I don't think the NVG 589 is one of them.

Basically, what I'm saying is that your home may be in an ADSL2+ service area only.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks. 

By IPTV are you referring in general to U-Verse TV?  If so, if U-Verse TV is offered in my area, would that tell me that I'm not in a ADSL2+ area?  

-------------------------------------

"There's another thing called U-verse, which is ADSL2+ based, and customers can be served on loops much longer than 5000' from the equipment.  In a large number of cases, these subscribers are still served from the Central Office, though the cards for this IPDSLAM ADSL2+ can be installed in a VRAD).  This flavor of U-verse uses different modems (i.e. not the NVG 589/2WIRE 3600,3800,3801, but the NVG 510, e.g.) and does not currently offer IPTV."

-------------------------------------

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

11 years ago

Assuming he's not on one already, could moving him to a K-Card at the VRAD improve his connection and allow him to keep the higher profile?  I know it helped mine as I'm pretty darned marginal at around 3300' from the VRAD.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks "my thoughts".

I do not have line issues.  Questions are to determine if I am currently "NVG589 ready", from a technical standpoint only.

Based on the above posts, my conclusion is (which may not be correct):

... that because I have a "3801", I am "VDSL" and therefore I have fiber to wherever that fiber needs to reach (to VRAD, to neighborhood, to house street, OR front street to house, wherever), and my profile is the highest standard profile offered, therefore there is no technical reason that the Motorola NVG 589 would not work at my home now.

If I am missing something, let me know.

... last, what does OP stand for?  Maybe I need another cup of coffee.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reference to BobLouder posts and others

The OP wording is somewhat vague about tier support fiber, recently talking to tech about 589 RG so I drew the conclusion stated above, but could have been talking to tier 2 about unrelated issue, as well speaking to tech inquiring about possible N router or faster internet speeds.

Statements can make: OP has a 3801 thus he is VDSL, which does require fiber to work, in this case FTTN.
Bob louder currently has the highest standard profile offered in ALL markets. If the lines are clean and can support will automatically be upgraded to 45M profile with 30/3 HSIA.  If not OP would need to request higher profile to receive pair bonding, reinstall appointment required. Single pair to bonded pair conversion.

My previous posts implied line issues but not necessarily stated by BobLouder

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

... last, what does OP stand for?  Maybe I need another cup of coffee.

OP stands for original poster.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.