Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Dish Hopper will not connect to ATT Gateway

Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Contributor

Dish Hopper will not connect to ATT Gateway

I just had two new Dish Hopper receivers installed and neither one can obtain a valid IPaddress. Anyone out there have this issue .

Message 1 of 24
Community Support

Re: Dish Hopper will not connect to ATT Gateway

Hi @gluptowski,

We are sorry about the issues you are having with your Hopper, but we will be glad to help. Are you trying to connect wired or wireless? We always suggest wired, but we have read for the Hopper, sometimes the wireless connection is the only thing that works. Also, if you have any other devices besides the Hopper, try turning them off first and just connecting one Hopper at a time. You may need to restart the equipment.

-ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 24
Contributor

It connected ok via wireless, but I have way too many devices in my house already on wireless, so prefer wired. Whenever it connects to the ATT gateway, it obtains a valid IP address, but cannot connect to the WAN/Internet. The it loses the IP address for some other bogus IP address. Very odd. It’s connected through an ethernet switch off the gateway. The ethernet cables have all been replaced, e.g. new. The ethernet switch has also been replaced, eg. new (ATT supplied Netgear).
Message 3 of 24
Expert

@gluptowski    Might try using Google DNS in the Hoppers if you can change it. Many devices find they can connect using Google DNS. It bypasses Uverse RG DNS.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Step by step instructions. Good luck Smiley Wink

Edit:  Rebooting the Hoppers after connecting them wired might help conect them.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 4 of 24
Community Support

Is it possible to test with just the one Hopper directly connected to the gateway bypassing the switch and with no other devices connected? I have read issues about the Hopper obtaining IPs due to the MOCA switch.

-ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 24
Tutor

My Hopper connects fine- Dish came out and my Joey's won't connect- MOCA is good.  Joey's worked perfectly with wi fi up until a week ago- listened to Pandora nightly through it.  DISH can't figure it out!  Any news on this???

Message 6 of 24
Community Support

Hi @janis5151,

Are you able to test hard wired to see if you run into the same issues?

-ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Message 7 of 24
Tutor

They are hard wired.  There is another person in my area that the Dish service techs say is having the same problem and they are ATT as well.  Moca is green- all is good there.  My router is a 5031 and when I first called Dish they tried to tell me that it was no longer supported.

Message 8 of 24
Tutor

sorry- broadband won't work on the Joeys

Message 9 of 24
Community Support

Hi,

We have been doing research, and one thing that has helped a lot of people out is statically assigning the IP on the Dish receivers. Let us know if that helps.

-ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Message 10 of 24
Tutor

I don't know how to do that. Can you give me directions on how to do that?

Message 11 of 24
Community Support

Hi,

You want to make sure there is a direct connection from your Hopper/Joey to your U-verse gateway. After that:

1. On a computer, login to the gateawy at http://192.168.1.254
  2. Select Settings at the top
  3. Select the sub-tab LAN
  4. Select the sub-tab IP Address Allocation
  5. From there, locate your devices and on address assignment, choose one from the list.
  6. Select save at the bottom.

Let us know how it goes.

-ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Message 12 of 24
Tutor

So I did what was suggested- no change- Hopper is connected to broadband, Moca is good- on both Joeys failed DHCP, server connection and Internet connection.
Message 13 of 24
Community Support

Here is another post that we saw in another thread where the person was having the same issue but was able to fix it by doing the following:

I was doing an internet search for this and found this thread. I chatted with a dish rep and they told me how to get internet with the joey's.I hope this wasnt already answered and Im not just being redundant but here goes anyway.

You dont need to have a wired connection with the joeys to your modem or router. As long as you have an internet connection with the hopper you can try this to fix your problem.

Hit Menu,
go to settings,
go to network setup,
go to broadband,
go to network details,
click on bridging,
then enable,
then save your settings.

After this, a screen will pop up saying that it is configuring your network settings. After that scren another will pop up and then you are done and will have wireless connetivity from the joeys to your internet connection that you have with the hopper and all your apps will work properly.

-ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Message 14 of 24
Tutor

DO I do this from the hopper or from the joeys?

Message 15 of 24
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support