For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
RJ_1's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, February 1st, 2013 10:43 PM

Diplexer Necessary or Beneficial?

Hey everyone,

My setup is as follows: Coax comes from outside my house (presumably from the NID). That coax is attached to a diplexer (VDSL port). Coax goes out from the diplexer (Combined port) to my Residential Gateway. All receivers are connected to the RG via Cat5e, I'm not using coax HomePNA at all.

My question is, since I'm only using coax to get from the NID to the RG, do I need a diplexer or is there any benefit to using one? Should I just use a simple connector instead?

I've been running into some TV stuttering issues recently with uncorrected blocks and starting to ask questions.

Thanks! 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

RJ_1 - Since yuo are not feeding any TVs via COAX, there is no need for a diplexer. It is good to minimize components. A straight through barrel connector could provide improvement. A single length of COAX would be even better. I believe cat5 would require a different termination in the NID.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks! Will remove diplexer and go with barrel connector.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

Make sure if you use a barrel, its rated for 3Ghz as a lower quality barrel will actually cause more issues than the diplexer.  These can usually be identified by a blue center.  As for why there is a diplexer in the network without any of the boxes running on coax, it could be that the tech installed it as a grounding source or reused an exisitng one that was previously installed to feed the signal to that room.  The HPNA side should have at least been capped off though with a 75 ohm terminator. 

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.