mark_mk's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 9:09 PM

Device List and IP Allocation Not Working Correctly on NVG589

Hi all,

We were on DSL with Static IP package and then AT&T made us upgrade to U-verse. Having a hard time using the web interface on the NVG589 RG and was hoping I could get some help.

This was all working on our old 2Wire RG with DSL.

The tech that installed everything walked me through the basic steps. And, being fairly tech literate and having set this up on the old 2Wire I felt confident that I could do this.

I had this sort of working yesterday. But, when I tried to play with it more today I am getting some really odd behavior.

NOTE: I have not changed any settings anywhere except on the IP ALLOCATION page.

I am having 3 main problems:

1) When I go to DEVICE > DEVICE LIST, I can see that the computer I am trying to assign a static IP to is listed twice. Each listing has different internal IP addresses. One says ethernet lan-1 and the other says ethernet lan-3. It also lists two different MAC addresses. I am not quite sure I even know how this is possible. This is a Synology Disk Station and only has one ethernet port.

Note: This computer was originally connected to our hub. But, when I first started havin issues I decided to plug it directly into the RG just on a hunch.

When I go into that computer, it shows me its MAC address and the appropriate internal IP that is assigned to that MAC Address.

2) When I go to HOME NETWORK > IP ALLOCATION, not all of my devices that are connected to our LAN (and listed above) appear in the IP ALLOCATION list. I am not sure why everything is not listed. How can I assign a static IP to a device if it is not listed. The device is definitely on and connected to the internet.

3) Just as a test I tried to assign a static IP to one of the computers that was listed on the IP ALLOCATION list. Two odd things happened when I tried this:

3a) In the NEW ALLOCATION drop down menu, all of our internal and all of our external IP addresses are listed as "Public Fixed". This doesn't make sense to me.

3b) When I choose one of the public IP address and click SAVE, I get a red error message that says "A required setting is empty".

If anybody has any ideas or troubleshooting suggestions, I would greatly apprecaite it.

Thank you!

Mark

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am having the exact same problem with the NVG589 and the "A setting is empty" message when trying to allocate a fixed IP to a partuclar device.

AT&T phone support has been horrible. They actually want to blame it on a line problem.

Please help!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Has anyone resolved this error message:  "A setting is empty"   Uverse support and ConnectTech are all baffled by it too.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I had the exact same issue.  1 hour on phone with ATT tech support yielded no results.  They dispatched a tech to replace the modem (which was just installed yesterday).

While waiting, I reset the Uverse device to factory settings.  I was able to configure 1 device with a public IP address.  The 2nd device caused the same "a required setting is empty" error message.

After a bunch of trial and error, this is what worked for me:

Unplugged all my devices from the ATT modem.

Reset ATT modem to factory defaults.

Connected wirelessly and got 192.168.1.64 for my laptop IP address.

Configured ATT with public IP range in "subnets and DHCP".

Set Primary DHCP Pool to "Public".

Plugged my first device into the ATT modem and forced it to ask for an IP using DHCP.

It was given the 1st public address in my pool.

Changed to IP Allocation page and allocated the same IP to it as fixed.  Success!

Plugged 2nd device into ATT modem and forced it to ask for an IP using DHCP

It was given the 2nd public address in my pool

Changed to IP Allocation page and allocated the same IP to it as fixed.  Success!

Back "Subnets and DHCP" changed "Set Primary DHCP Pool" back to Private.

Rebooted everything and confirmed it worked.

Called the ATT tech and told him not to come.

Drank a beer.

I hope this helps someone.  I wasted 5 hours on it.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

This is a definite issue and AT&T techs, including ConnectTech, don't know what's going on.  AT&T replaced my modem and that same night I was able to configure it.  Within 2 weeks, I was no longer able to allocate IP's again.  After calling AT&T again, they sent another tech out (which mind you they don't usually know about the workings of the modem, just how to install the service).  The tech called his Tier 2 support and in a very short time was told to call ConnectTech.  ConnectTech in turn told the tech he should be calling his Tier 2 support.  During that fiasco (and the tech shaking his head) the tech realized there was more info here about this issue.

I have tried GeckoIT's solution and it worked.  I even altered it a little and it still worked.  Somewhere after assigning the second static IP, I lost track of devices.  The modem seem to be assigning 2 DHCP addresses to the same device (at least by name) and the modem didn't seem to be keeping up very well with devices.  So... After allocating two IP's, I set the Primary Pool back to Private.  I then was able to finish changing or allocating my IP's.  I was also able to allocate another IP after approx 24 hours.  The modem must "lock up" sometime after 24 hrs and give the errors about allocating IP's.

As a side note to this error also... When the modem would not let me allocate IP's, I decided to try and allocate one of the internal DHCP addresses to the device.  This gave the same error "a required setting is empty" along with a second message stating the "Address must be on the network ( the base of my static range )".  Once again, neither message made any sense.  I was trying to assign it an internal address, but it was referencing the static IP range.

BTW... the ConnectTech service wanted to charge for this service, yet couldn't resolve it after 4 calls.  I specifically informed the ConnectTech and AT&T engineer that was on this final phone call about this posting, so they could help future customers solve the issue, hopefully.  During the final call, the ConnectTech tech realized he had helped me previously on same issue.  However, when I reminded him that when we got disconnected he refused to call me back, he gave the excuse that there was too many calls in the queue and didn't have time to call me back.  When I responded that that indicated a new call was more important than helping the current customer, he asked if I would like another tech to help me.  LOL

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Dude, you saved me a bunch of pain, thanks for posting this. I, Iike you, just moved and got the new gateway after fighting long and hard to get a VPN working on the old gateway (at least 10 hours). I was going to try a bunch of other things to try and "fool" the new gateway, but noticed as you did that the GW was showing the same MAC for two different devices. Tech support was clueless and blamed my device (Juniper Netscreen) which was working flawlessly with the old gateway. I turned off every wireless device I own (2 ipads, iphone, android, a couple of laptops), did the factory reset and waited until the Gateway came back to life (about 5 minutes). The interface became unresponsive at one point after the reset so I had to do a hard 30-30-30 reset to get it back up. Then I plugged in my laptop via Ethernet, changed the SSID and password just to make sure nothing wireless could connect, then setup the Public subnet, set DHCP to hand out public addresses, plugged in my Netscreen and "Voila", Netscreen now has the Public IP I wanted it to have. Went to "IP Allocation" and forced it to always have that IP. Went back and changed DHCP to hand out private addresses. Done. I tried a bunch of other things (clearing the NAT table, changing the private IP address range, turning off public subnet) but nothing did the trick. Looks like this gateway will hang on to ARP cache until you factory reset it, even if you set the DHCP lease time to 5 minutes like I did and reset it, power it off, etc.

This should be required reading for phone tech support. Don't tell the customer their equipment is the problem!

Explorer

• 

23 Messages

10 years ago

Don't know if you're still monitoring this older thread. I haven't had these exact problems but I'm pretty sure they're related. I will try your method and see if I can resolve my problematic IP Allocations on the NVG589.

I have one question that seems related but if it was mentioned I missed it. If I allow a device to get an unallocated DHCP address from the pool, the device status and the IP allocation page show the devices' IP address and it's name. If I allocate an IP address, the address usually works but the device is usually listed as 'unknown, like unknown68967b0c9a86. If I unallocate the address and refresh the client the device name comes back. I don't usually see the double listing like you mentioned, but do now and then.

When you have completed your process and your allocated addresses are working properly do you see:

/ as you should? Thanks for your post and effort.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

9 years ago

Based on other comments in similar threads and my experience with this modem i can answer all of the questions (but you may not like the answers!):

1. IP Allocation. As others have suggested you are limited to a small number of IP's that can be allocated. 16 has been suggested but I haven't personally confirmed it.
  2. The procedure to allocate is NOT obvious. It must be attempted with few attached devices to the router as the display doesn't populate correctly and with many IP's in the table you will not be able to see them all. So styart by disconnecting ALL router ports (and if switches are in front of the a router port, you will need to turn off all machines through the switch EXCEPT those you are working with <16. 
  3. I will experiment more to find the best step-by-step and post it when found. It's quite a shame that no one at ATT has interest or experience with this as the rest of the modem features are quite nice and this is the single point of failure for the Uverse system. Obviously a level of caution and expertise is required. Only good thing is the device works out of the box with all ports/IP's "unallocated".
  4. Good news, sort of. Only special circumstances would require this. Bad news... All field techs, most help-desk techs are clueless about this issue (or don't care to address it). 

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

9 years ago

The best way to set up IP Allocation:

1. Disconnect all but one router port connected to a single computer. 
  2. Log into the Home Network>IP Allocation page with the Device Access Code printed on the modem tag.    Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 11.25.18.png
  3. Set up IP Allocation for each device IP port as described in the Web GUI instructions. Help.png
  4. Designate/select an IP from the scrollable list (this may not work correctly in many browsers, if all devices are connected!) Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 11.34.26.png
  5. Save your settings! 

3 Attachments

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

So wierd, I tried this but after I hit save, it reverts back to private pool from private fixed, even though it said the configuration was a success.  Can you offer any help?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

8 years ago

I'm having all theissues described above.   I'm going for a factory reset and adding the static IP bank myself.   

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.