ricky8540's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Wednesday, July 10th, 2013 12:43 PM

Data Cable for 2-wire

Hello.

I have the 3801 2-wire modem. I want to move it to another room, and I purchased a 50ft. cat5e patch cable only to find out that the connector didn't match.

My question is for the phone jack to the back of the modem (green cable) can I use a regular phone line, or do I need something special?

50 foot isn't too long is it?

Thanks in advance.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for replying my thoughts.

So you're saying that a coupler that is RJ45 on both ends will connect the cat5e patch cable I bought with the green cable that came with modem?

Just to be sure you understand the cat5e patch cable I bought will plug in to the wall jack just fine, but it won't fit in the back of the 2-wire.

So a RJ45 coupler will work on the green cable as well?

Thanks.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the info my thoughts.

That's what I will do then.

cheers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I'm going on my second hour just to find out my account

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

My ATT DSL modem was installed by ATT tech with two beige cables stapled to baseboard plugged into the modem -- one into the DSL jack and one into the Line 1/Line 2 jack.  I don't know why I need the latter since I am not connecting a phone directly to the modem.  Since I need to move the modem a further 15-20 feet from the baseboard device installed by ATT (where the cable enters the house from outside) I obtained additional lengths of cable but need an in-line connector to join to the ends of the cables going to the modem.  These should have 6 conductors.  I got the RJ45 connector, but it has 8 conductors.  From various forums, it seems I would need an RJ13 or 14 (not sure which) -- it has 6 wires.  I have not found these anywhere.  If I use the RJ45 in line coupler, will the data wires of the ATT supplied cable which have regular telephone line type plugs (RJ11), but with 6 wires, when plugged into the coupler, perfectly align the wires carrying data in the plugs with the wires in the coupler?

Thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.