Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Nov 26, 2012
7:22:46 AM
View profile
DSL randomly blinking red light when in use then goes green after it disconnects Internet
My grandparents have had DSL with the 2wire modem since 2007. This is a wireless modem using a phone cable. The Internet worked fine two years ago last time I live out here and now the past month I've been staying here its started to blink red and kick me off when I'm playing Xbox live for 30 mins or so. It randomly does it. Some nights it won't do it and some nights it would. Then the wireless wouldn't work. The Internet wouldn't work because the bill wash paid and since the bill was paid and the Internet was turned back on it blinks red when you use the Internet or wireless period. It lets you use it for Mabye 5 mins or sometimes longer and cuts off then will turn green when you doable the Internet connects or it kicks me off Xbox live. It's darting to seem like the Internet doesn't like web surfing or use that requires a lot of use such as Facebook and Xbox live.the technician did something to turn the wireless on when he came out because we thought it was the modem instead of the bill not being paid but the problem got way worse after the bill was paid and Internet turned on. I've tried customer support but can't understand the foreigners on technical support.
My grandparents have had DSL with the 2wire modem since 2007. This is a wireless modem using a phone cable. The Internet worked fine two years ago last time I live out here and now the past month I've been staying here its started to blink red and kick me off when I'm playing Xbox live for 30 mins or so. It randomly does it. Some nights it won't do it and some nights it would. Then the wireless wouldn't work. The Internet wouldn't work because the bill wash paid and since the bill was paid and the Internet was turned back on it blinks red when you use the Internet or wireless period. It lets you use it for Mabye 5 mins or sometimes longer and cuts off then will turn green when you doable the Internet connects or it kicks me off Xbox live. It's darting to seem like the Internet doesn't like web surfing or use that requires a lot of use such as Facebook and Xbox live.the technician did something to turn the wireless on when he came out because we thought it was the modem instead of the bill not being paid but the problem got way worse after the bill was paid and Internet turned on. I've tried customer support but can't understand the foreigners on technical support.
Accepted Solution

DSL randomly blinking red light when in use then goes green after it disconnects Internet

2 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 27, 2012 11:18:54 AM
(0)
Former Moderator
Edited by ATTDelia on Dec 17, 2012 at 8:15:28 AM

Ryan101,

I would follow the link below and troubleshoot your system. Just follow along and it will walk you through a self test process which will help you discover if you are indeed having DSL issues.

James

AT&T Troubleshoot & Resolve

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Ryan101,

I would follow the link below and troubleshoot your system. Just follow along and it will walk you through a self test process which will help you discover if you are indeed having DSL issues.

James

AT&T Troubleshoot & Resolve

Re: DSL randomly blinking red light when in use then goes green after it disconnects Internet

[ Edited ]
2 of 3 (2,674 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2014 1:31:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hope this helps you. The 2 Wire modem is not a dependable modem for the most part. Best bet is to get a different modem. Also make sure you do some research to see what will work best for you. I have a netgear (Not the netgear provided by AT&T) and it works well. When using DSL it sometimes is not best to connect a game console via wifi. Ethernet is the best way to connect.

Now I am worried the true underlying problem is mostly your home phone line. Ask your grandparents how old the house is and if the phone lines are the lines that were installed inside the home from the NID box when the house was built. The house I bought was built in 1968 with original phone lines. I am going to replace mine today. Will tell ya h\ow it goes cause I have had some of the same problems as you.

Hope this helps you. The 2 Wire modem is not a dependable modem for the most part. Best bet is to get a different modem. Also make sure you do some research to see what will work best for you. I have a netgear (Not the netgear provided by AT&T) and it works well. When using DSL it sometimes is not best to connect a game console via wifi. Ethernet is the best way to connect.

Now I am worried the true underlying problem is mostly your home phone line. Ask your grandparents how old the house is and if the phone lines are the lines that were installed inside the home from the NID box when the house was built. The house I bought was built in 1968 with original phone lines. I am going to replace mine today. Will tell ya h\ow it goes cause I have had some of the same problems as you.

Re: DSL randomly blinking red light when in use then goes green after it disconnects Internet

3 of 3 (1,061 Views)