hdixon's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, December 29th, 2013 1:26 PM

DSL connection drops when phone connects

I've had this home DSL service for seceral years now. For the most part with no problems. ABout 3-4 months ago I started having intermittent drops. I noticed that whenever the phone rang I would lose service for a couple minutes. Only one jack has a wireless phone system installed and it has a filter. I've tried 3 different filters. Yesterday I had some time and I unplugged the phone from the wall, made sure nothing else was plugged in to any wall jack except the dsl modem (no filter on that), then watched my connection status on my router and had terminal open with an ongoing ping. I called my house from my cell and as soon as it rang the connection dropped. I saw posts here about running a line right from the modem to the NID port so I did that. When I called the home number this time while watching the connection status and running ping the connection did not drop.

I know I've only scratched the surface of testing but what does the above seem to indicate as a point of the connectivity problem?

Thanks.

HD

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I think i found the problem. The green wire in the NID had a kink in it and the wire was broken inside. Phone and dsl working together again (knock on wood). 

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@hdixon wrote:

I've had this home DSL service for seceral years now. For the most part with no problems. ABout 3-4 months ago I started having intermittent drops. I noticed that whenever the phone rang I would lose service for a couple minutes. Only one jack has a wireless phone system installed and it has a filter. I've tried 3 different filters. Yesterday I had some time and I unplugged the phone from the wall, made sure nothing else was plugged in to any wall jack except the dsl modem (no filter on that), then watched my connection status on my router and had terminal open with an ongoing ping. I called my house from my cell and as soon as it rang the connection dropped. I saw posts here about running a line right from the modem to the NID port so I did that. When I called the home number this time while watching the connection status and running ping the connection did not drop.

I know I've only scratched the surface of testing but what does the above seem to indicate as a point of the connectivity problem?

Thanks.

HD

You said you changed filters on the phone. Did you also try a new filter on the modem (plugged into the DSL port)?

Your first test would indicate that your phone is not the problem.

Your second test, where only the modem is plugged into the NID, would indicate that the wiring inside your home is probably the issue. That could be caused by rodents chewing on the wires (mice, rats, or squirrels). It could also be caused by a loose connection to the back of the wall jack(s).

Is your phone plugged in near your modem? If so I would disconnect all the other wiring in the home, run a new line (with no splices) from the NID to the modem jack, plug in a two port filter (DSL & phone), and plug your modem and phone in there (in their appropriate ports of course).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I was under the impression that the phone jack where the DSL modem plugged into does NOT use a filter. Is this correct?
Also I managed to pull up the modem stats page. The SNR margin Downstream/Upstream is 0/12 and the Attenuation Downstream/Upstream is 12/31.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@hdixon wrote:
I was under the impression that the phone jack where the DSL modem plugged into does NOT use a filter. Is this correct?
Also I managed to pull up the modem stats page. The SNR margin Downstream/Upstream is 0/12 and the Attenuation Downstream/Upstream is 12/31.

Although the DSL side of the filter does not do any "frequency filtering", I believe it does still provide surge/overvoltage protection.

You said your connection drops when your phone rings, but did not mention whether it happens if you make a call out. It could be your receiving a higher than standard ringvoltage or on/off hook voltage.

You did not mention any other devices. Do you have anything else plugged in like a stand-alone answering machine, fax machine, satellite/cable boxes, or alarm systems? These all need filters as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@hdixon wrote:

I think i found the problem. The green wire in the NID had a kink in it and the wire was broken inside. Phone and dsl working together again (knock on wood). 

Great. Glad to hear your back up and running.

Stop back if you have any other problems, or just want to participate in other parts of the forum.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Thanks my green wire was also kinked ...  Rewired the green wire and good to go .... Hope is fixed for good ... Thank  you for your help ....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.