SteveinOK's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, August 29th, 2016 1:46 PM

DSL Modem reseting

I have a 2wire gateway 2701HG-B modem that has been causing me issues lately. The past few days it keeps reseting whenever I turn on a wireless device (phone or iPad) or wake up my laptop that is connected via ethernet cable. Sometimes it will find the DSL and Internet quickly and other times it seems to take a dozen tries before it connects. I have had this modem for at least 5 years and it has been in the same location all of this time. No changes have been made in the house to the phones or alarm system (they are on a different pair anyway). I first suspected a bad modem, but I have a second 2701HG-B modem that I hooked up and it is doing the same thing with it. Find it hard to believe both modems would have the same fault. I called ATT Customer Service and the girl ran a test on my line and modem which came back as good since it was up at that time, but within an hour of the call it went out again. Any suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

178 Messages

8 years ago

Well a defective power adapter gives it less voltage if the capacitors are on the way out and could cause the modem to reset if it doesn't have sufficient juice to the modem. Just letting you know its a known issue with those power adapters. If you open that power adapter and see bulging capacitors you know it's the power adapter.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

I am just guessing here but it sounds like AT&T may not have the correct MAC address for your gateway. AT&T uses a MAC address to authenticate. I may be wrong. At any rate, you should contact AT&T and request a dispatch.

Scholar

• 

178 Messages

8 years ago

Are you using the same power adapter for both of your router/modem combos? If so it might be the power adapter, those tend to go bad every few years.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Wouldn't a defective power adapter make the modem not work at all?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Well, it looks like you were right on the power adapter. I did not open the old one I had to check for bulging caps, but I did replace it with the extra one I had and I have not had an issue for over a week now. Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Thanks for this helpful post/replies!   My folks are having the same issue.  They have the 2Wire 2701 HG.  A few years ago, it acted like it couldn't find a signal.  The power light would switch from red to green and back.  We switched power supplies with mine which wasnt being used anymore.  Voila, things were fine again.  Now it is basically the same problem again, and the power supply has a trace of brownish stuff which may have seeped out of it.  It is good to know that these power supplies tend to go bad every few years.  We are going to try a new one again.  Thanks!  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Well, if you are using a 2Wire 2701 HG-B modem. This is an old modem and the average life span is 3-5 years. If the power light not staying steady green the modem is defective and need to replace the modem. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.