swensond's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 6:25 PM

DSL Light on but Internet Drops Daily

I have had AT&T DSL for several years.  About six months ago we began to experience drops in our internet service.  The DSL light on the AT&T provided modem would be on, but the internet connection light would be off (and no connectivity).  When called the AT&T tech support indicated that the modem was an old model and causing the problem (we went through all the steps of re-booting, keeping the router off the system, pinging the service line...) and the answer was...replace the modem.  I purchased an ActionTech VDSL2 (Model #V2000H) to replace the old modem. 

Internet connections became better, but soon started to drop out on a regular basis (again the DSL light is on and the connectivity within the home network is fine, but the internet light is out).  It is to the point that I reboot the modem/router in the morning before leaving for work and then again in the evening when I get home from work. 

Everything in my mind says that this points to a delivery issue and not a home equipment issue.  So, my basic question is, "what can be done?"  I don't relish the idea of spending 45 minutes to an hour (or more) on the phone with a technician, doing the same things I have already done just to "check the system".  It is baffling when the modem indicates DSL connectivity but not internet connectivity...is it possible to have one without the other?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Well, no help from Netgear, but AT&T tech had me remove the filter and plug modem directly into phone jack.  Prior to that, I was getting a reset every 20-30 minutes.  It's been good for over two hours now.  Hope this works. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Update,  It's been two days now and I've had one drop off.  AT&T service rep (Tyler) very helpful, called today for a status update, and is planning to call back later this week to see if we need to proceed further with troubleshooting the issue.  At this point appears to be corrected.  The one drop-off may have been coincidental.

Tutor

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

So far, this worked for me too. Removed the filter and have had no dropped connections for 2 days now. Prior to that, my connection would not stay up for longer than 5-20 minutes. Thanks for posting.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

We have had this problem for a couple of years. Our DSL will drop out at random times, though usually not when someone is on line thank goodness. It will happen sometimes numerous times in a single day, or it may stay connected for a week or more then drop out for apparent reason. Our wireless connection always remains, using an Apple Airport Express, but we will get an error message that no internet connection is available. The fix is to shut down the computer, switch off the power at the surge protector, wait a period of time (at least five minutes though longer is often required) and reboot the whole system. The modem restarts, the Express reconnects, we restart the computer and we have internet. For a while anyway. I have been in contact with ATT service both through chat and on the phone and the answers are always the same, but nothing has solved the issue or even made improvements. Very frustrating and we are finally looking into switching to Charter's cable service for our internet. DSL speed has always been disappointing as well. Streaming video or even music is delayed or bogged down with constant buffering. Been with ATT internet service for many years but I am afraid we are soon to depart company.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have the exact same PROBLEM...it’s doing daily: at first it was multiple times per day, now it only occurs once or twice daily. On most days I only lose it once daily. My last tech separated the data from the voice using a splitter at the outside box, and also put on a whole house filter there also. I had 2 phones lines into the house about 10 years ago, so now the incoming line is split - 1 goes to and the other goes to voice.

I also have a burglar alarm system, which the tech came out a verified that it is not interfering with the internet and or the voice line.

So I am puzzled as to why I am having these line drops on a daily basis.

Now they, ATT, is calling on a daily basis to see what the status is – they have not said they were still working it, but they are calling for status.

Go figure. It won’t be long before I jump to another provider…..

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I am so glad to read that I am not the only one dealing with this issue.  I have DSL internet, U-Verse is not available in my neighborhood.  I have been using a Netgear 7550 that I bought in Nov, 2014.  The internet service will drop off when all of the lights on the modem/router remain green.  I have to unplug the mode, wait 10 seconds, plug it back in, once it finishes rebooting, all is well.  I have this exact same issue across my iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro (even with an ethernet line to the MacBook).  All of the electronics show connected to the internet except that when I try to do something online, I get a "connection lost" or "no internet connection."  I have been on the phone, sometimes multiple times a day, with ATT and now Tech Services, including using their message line, emails to a few of the techs, and now I am here.  Each time I speak to someone I get a different story:  problem is modem, no, it's ATT; need to change WiFi Connection Setup Channel should be on 9, no, automatic; Security on mixed WPA/WPA2, no, WPA2-PSK; DNS server is wrong, no, it's fine.............HELP!!!!  There are no other internet service providers allowed in the park that I live in, so, I'm stuck.  I have to use ATT.  They are sending a tech out tomorrow, to check the line to the house.  I have already changed the modem 3 times (including the wires and filter).  The only thing I haven't changed is the telephone line from the outside of the house to the phone jack that is inside the house.  Should I rig up a new line for that and see if it corrects the dropping issue or just give up?  Thanks!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

As an update, the tech came out today (on Mother's Day!) and rewired the outside and kitchen connections.  He suggested that I switch the WiFi channel to 6 (I have Apple products).  The service lasted just under 12 hours.  All of the lights on the modem (Netgear7550) are green and yet there is no service on my iPad.  I have connected my MacBook to the modem via ethernet cable, and it is working on this one at the moment, but no wireless.  I will unplug the modem here shortly and let it reboot, but having to do this daily has become very tiresome.

Please, does anyone have any constructive ideas as to what to do to repair this?  My only alternative is to reconnect my iPad to Verizon and not use the laptop or iPhone wirelessly anymore.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Complain to the FCC.  AT&T has done NOTHING to fix my constant almost scheduled drops up to 4 times a day.  They claim to have 99.9% reliability, however, I think the only thing they are reliable for is drops.  My drops happen so often I can almost set my clock by them. 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@wyleec   Might try using Google DNS in Macs. Many devices find they can connect using Google DNS. It bypasses ATT modem DNS.  Even in Uverse, Macs have problems connecting and suggest it there all the time.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Step by step instructions. Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Kudos

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.