Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DSL Internet Service using the ARRIS NVG 589 Modem/Router

Highlighted
Contributor

DSL Internet Service using the ARRIS NVG 589 Modem/Router

Are there some different choices for modems and routers that I could buy to replace this NVG 589? My internet signal is all over the place. I am sitting here next to the modem and here are a sampling of my speed readings every second:  211.5 Mbps, 145.2, 141.4, 128.9, 189.0, 96.4, 123.5, 98.5, 184.9, 77.3, 61.6, 185.9, 191.6, 200.3, 96.8. I am using a wi-if hotspot meter called Wi-Fi Sweetspots (app). Sounds like this router modem is at fault. what do ya’ll think. Maybe it’s time for a 802.11 ac modem/ router instead of this 802.11 n. Just interested in getting good, steady signals. Please advise.

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: DSL Internet Service using the ARRIS NVG 589 Modem/Router

You cannot REPLACE the ATT modem.  You can add another router behind it but you cannot replace it. 

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will chime in with recommendations.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Add another router behind it? Wouldn’t the NVG 589 be “running the show” so to speak? Do you just set the NVG589 to somehow let the signal pass thru to the new 802.11 ac router? You think this would fix my signal and keep it from being so eradic?

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Guru
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by PoppyJ
‎12-24-2017 7:25 AM

Request an NVG599 which is an upgrade to the NVG589.

It does have bunch more features which may or may not solve the issue you are experiencing.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support