DNS settings

Scholar

DNS settings

Long story short...U Verse wireless internet has never worked properly at my house. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it totally crawls. I have had six techs out, and they have changed the Gateway box 3 times and literally changed all of the cables.They even changed the ports. There is nothing in my environment that would cause the wireless issue.

Yesterday when it was crawling again, I checked my Laptop wireless network settings, and I got a message about some kind of DNS issue. Today, I have read about bypassing AT&Ts DNS issues by changing my computer's DNS to use Google's public servers. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4    208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Is this worth a shot as long as I write down my current DNS settings? Would the DNS possibly cause intermittent speed variations? My download speed goes from 12.3 to 0.25 and I never know when it will happen LOL

I'd be grateful for any informed input. I'm not getting AT&T out for a 7th time.....total waste of time.

Message 1 of 14 (70,577 Views)
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author Terry_2
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: DNS settings

By putting in the Google DNS addresses, you are bypassing the ATT DNS server addresses in the RG/modem, so no need to worry about switching 'back' to ATT DNS servers.

Give it a try:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Might also see SomeJoe's wireless interference thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-Access/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/230300...

Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14 (70,539 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

I made the change last night and I have seen a dramatic improvement with my U-verse service. For months I have been on the phone with AT&T, and having techs out six times to try and resolve the issue of intermittent variations in my speed.

My system was crawling last night, and the moment I made the DNS change, my download speed jumped from about 0.25 to 12.23. My browsing speed is now where it should be, and I'm playing videos with no buffering.

long may it continue Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 14 (70,516 Views)
Scholar

This was great info. I changed my DNS settings, and I downloaded the excellent  InSSIDer software and saw that I was on a busy channel with 5 other people in my area. I changed my channel to a different one that nobody is on. Everything is great now. Thank you.

Message 4 of 14 (70,465 Views)
ACE - Expert

You're welcome, that's why I always include the link to SJ's great wireless interference thread on any wireless problem threads. Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 14 (70,438 Views)
Tox
Contributor

I was having problems streaming youtube so I switched the DNS on my computer to the Google DNS and it works great now. My question is, how do I make the changes in the Uverse router to do the same thing for all my devices?
Message 6 of 14 (69,625 Views)
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by mibrnsurg (ACE - Expert)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

You can't, the RG/modems are hard coded to use only ATT DNS.  Putting Google DNS on your computer does the DNS request bypassing the RG's DNS function. Smiley Wink

Chris

Message 7 of 14 (69,620 Views)
Contributor

Folks,

A lot of good posts and all are correct towards the end goal of better performance. All the different corrections/adjustments mentioned so far contribute to increased perfomance, but in different ways. First, DNS or the "Domain Name System" which is at the core of the Internet returns the IP (Internet Protocol) address (e.g. 123.231.237.222) for the query of the domain name (e.g. www.some-website.com).  DNS can cause performance problems (latency) only if it doesn't return an address right away (usually causes your browser to just hang).  All big companies and Internet servers providers have DNS servers.  When you connect to your home network your router "or ATT's" gives your computer or tablet/smartphone an IP address and the DNS server's address to use.  If you have ATT Uverse and their router, it is hard coded to use ATT's DNS.  If your using you own router you can change it to whatever you want. Why, did ATT do this? Well mostly for the TV and other streaming content they provide. With U-verse, all content you receive is IP based, which has to be managed by ATT, to insure that the TV and Video content has priorty over other traffic.  The way they do this, is to return different addresses for your querries that dirrect your computer through their system servers first before getting you through to your requested web-site.  This is also how they measure how much data you have used. Unfortunatly, your internet speed will always be subject to the TV demands on the systems (both your's and other customers).  So changing to another DNS server will help, but not always significantly.  I don't recommend using Google's DNS, because they log and use everything your computer querries. The other address I saw was for OpenDNS, which is a free service and by far the best on the internet.  If you become a member you can actually filter your traffic and block content.  This is good for protecting

children and blocking huge ammounts of adds.  This in itself will speed up your performance.  If you watch data traffic, with a network packet analyzer when you browse to a news or gossip site (TMZ etc) you will see that with your 1 request for a web-page, your computer will query for between 10-20 other sites (adds, neilson, peer-to-peer) and that content will be down loaded.  Using OpenDNS, you can block this traffic and you will be astonished at the performance improvement and regain a little privacy.  How do you do that with ATT Uverse? Well, there is documentation on ATT's site on how to keep or start using your own router/wireless in conjuction with the ATT Uverse box (modem, router, wireless, phone in one). On the newer boxes it is called router cascading and there are settings in the ATT box to enable it.  Your TV box, however will still point to ATT's DNS.  If you have an older box or can't figure it out, you can just configure your individual computer/IP devices to use OpenDNS or Google's DNS if you wish.  BTW deconfliction of wireless channels is another big player.  Have fun.  If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to post!

A network engineer's perspective

Message 8 of 14 (68,378 Views)
ACE - Expert

@dlswenson1 Sure you realize ATT is logging everywhere you go too on any ATT Uverse or IPDSLAM internet (thanks to NSA), so Google is no big deal in that regard.

Generally on 12M or lower internet, TV does not interfere w/internet speed.  On higher speeds, it would only affect true speed a bit, but most users would not notice it unless downloading a huge file.

The web pages I go to are not subjected to the other website connections as I'm using a MVPS.org Hosts file and Disconnect Me on FF and Aurora. Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)

Message 9 of 14 (68,368 Views)
Contributor

Chris,

Thanks for bringing up that point.  I work in cyber operations and yes, just about everything is monitored, even TLS/SSL traffic.  The relationship between ATT and the government intelligence community was established years ago.  The Internet technology has just made it easier to gather and store information from the unwitting citizen.  As for the NSA, %95 of what they're doing is protecting us and it has stopped numerous real attacks here and abroad.  What the exalted Ed Snowden did for us ctizens was .5% service to the puliblic and 95.5% the most grave damage in history to the security of the US, worse than all others combined. People have surely died as a result.  I don't mind the NSA knowing that I'm an ordinary citizen (they already know everything about me), but it's the government administration and what they do with the info to be conecerned about (e.g having the IRS audit conservative groups, which WAS sanctioned by the administration).  Far worse could happen in a worse government.  Be thoughtful of who you elect next.

I failed to mention MVPS.org and apps like PeerBlock.  They are very effective methods as well. I use PeerBlock as well as OpenDNS and Duck Duck Go as a search engine.  None of these services divulge or sell your internet activity.   As for MVPS.org, it is a very effective tool for the individual computer/laptop.  Its a little more complicated for most folks to edit the hosts file, but instructions are pretty good.  These not only help performence, but are good security practices.  I agree that Firefox is the best browser and was not aware of Disconnect Me and Aurora. I will try them out. Thanks

The problems I have are mostly due to latency, which I'm sure are caused from the queueing of my requests behind audio/video, VoIP, and other streaming content.  Once the content is being delivered the throughput is very good, except for YouTube which repeatedly stops.  I've set up QOS provisioning on commercial sized routers (10Gbps) and have observed this behavior. It's something we will all have to live with, if we stay with ATT Uverse.  However, by using the  tools and apps mentioned we can hopefully keep the internet / DNS requests down to just what we are asking for.  Thanks for the tips.

A public servant who still tries to serve the public.

Message 10 of 14 (68,296 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

@dlswenson1 Actually recently if you check at speedtest.net, you'll most likely connect to the closest ATT server to test your speed. 

Doing that you're going to see your base Uverse latency, without any latency introduced by the internet, in my case 20-21ms here in metro Detroit.  A second test by Comcrap netted a 35ms ping.  Both netted close to 15.35/2.00 on 12/1.5 internet.

MVPS.org Hosts list is a little tricky to use the macros here, you have to make all the addthis.com domains accessable and edit the Hosts file to the desktop.  Then rename old Hosts in win/win32/drivers/etc, then drag the desktop hosts.txt into the root and drop .txt from the name.  On a few websites I have to turn off the Hosts file to make it work properly.

Some websites you might have to whitelist on Disconnect Me, especialy Uverse online, to make them work properly. Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or

Message 11 of 14 (68,286 Views)
Tutor

Hi.

There are 4 different DNS servers specified for google.  2 for IPv4 and 2 for IPv6.

Is there a particular ORDER these should be listed in my network preferences?  

Thanks!

Message 12 of 14 (64,768 Views)
ACE - Expert

JBonafont wrote:

Hi.

There are 4 different DNS servers specified for google.  2 for IPv4 and 2 for IPv6.

Is there a particular ORDER these should be listed in my network preferences?  

Thanks!

Did you follow directions here:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

They explain how to use them on all types of operating systems. Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)

Message 13 of 14 (64,736 Views)
Mentor

I've always used non AT&T name servers because I found them to be unreliable.  I've used my share of others like OpenDNS and 4.2.2.1 / 4.2.2.2

One service I did like was something called DNS Advantage (IP's:  156.154.70.1 / 156.154.71.1)

It looks like these two IP's are still active in performing lookups.  Give them a shot and see if you like them too.  

Message 14 of 14 (4,454 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.