timserious's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Friday, September 23rd, 2011 5:55 AM

DNS problems with 2-wire 3801

I recently have had to power cycle (unplug power cord, coax and ethernet cables) and reset (via settings->diagnostic->reset on the RG) due to no internet connection. It eventually connects normally after 10 minutes, the windows network diags report the problem with the DNS portion of the RG.  This is happening whenever I boot or restart any of my PC's (vista and win 7), I have tried switching from wired to wireless (just to do a little troubleshooting) but it is the same, UVRT shows 4 corrected blocks and 31 DSL unavail secs since reset 14 h14 m ago. RG's LAN->statistics show only 1 error packet & 1680 discards xmit'd and 7 discards rec'd.

My profile:

Stats-2011-09-22-22-49-42.png

Any help will be appreciated, I contacted support, they referred me to ConnectTech; I was promised a replacement RG on 8/26 but someone at AT&T cancelled the order.

1 Attachment

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Try changing the DNS server in your computers to google - 8.8.8.8.

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

Might you actually mean DHCP (not DNS)?

Do you have any other SOHO routers on the net? If so, verify that DHCP is disabled on everything except the RG .

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

No it is DNS not DHCP and this is the only router.

DNS prob on 3801.png

1 Attachment

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

Have you checked the stats on each of your computer's network connections? The reported dns server listed in those stats should be the address of the RG. If not, check your network connection config on each computer. They should be set to automatic for IP address and DNS servers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them.

Bertrand Russell

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks Computer-Joe, yes all of the settings are correct I have been connecting to this RG on all systems except my main system (I built it last month 8/4/2011) since it was installed 2/12/2011. This problem just developed a few days ago.

I have performed major maintenance and performance enhancements as well as disabling services and startup progs that are not essential on all systems over the last two days, using Advanced SystemCare Pro, Smart Defrag, and a few other registry (cleaning and defrag) tools as well as manually doing what is needed and as of this AM things seem to be back to normal i.e., slow internet connectivity and downloads. So I cannot put my finger on what was causing the problems but for now this particular issue is resolved.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Unfortunately, this now appears to be an intermittent problem as I lost connection for over 20 minutes today (9-25-2011), the windows network diagnostics again says "The DNS server isn't responding".

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

Or try OpenDNS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them.

Bertrand Russell

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Very helpful Computer-Joe, I am currently rebuilding (my primary system, takes approx 4 days to rebuild completely) from format to re-installation of everything so I will try your suggestions, since it is an intermittent problem only time will tell, but I will keep you posted. I will however configure some of the other systems to test these, thanks again.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

@aviewer, I changed the DNS server settings on my systems to use the Google servers ip addresses 8.8.8.8  and 8.8.4.4, it seems to have resolved the problems, thank you!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

timserious - Glad it worked for you. I also like Google Chrome for a browser - very fast.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.