sungreen's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, May 10th, 2014 11:58 PM

DNS Configuration - NVG510

I, unfortunately, was recently talked into "upgrading" my DSL to U-verse - so I could save 5 dollars a month. I have encountered an issue with the NVG510. Try as I might, I am simply unable to envision a situation where it would be beneficial to lock down the DNS configuration so that a person is unable to change it. What is the purpose of it? Is there a way to "unlock" this so you can manually change your DNS servers without having to bridge another router? Had I known this was going to happen I would have just stuck with my old DSL - it was half the speed that it is now but at least it was functional.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Unfortunately, DNS settings are hard-coded in all U-Verse routers, because some U-Verse services (VOIP and IPTV) use DNS names that only the AT&T DNS servers can resolve.

To use your own DNS settings, you can use your own router behind the NVG510, or you can make individual DNS entries on each device.

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

The problem with "solutions" such as changing to the desired DNS servers on your devices or using your own router behind ATT won't help resolve speed because the slow ATT DNS are #1 and #2 and your local DNS will be #3 and #4 in the order of query.

You might checkout DNSBENCH.EXE by Steve Gibson for more details. See below.

(edited)

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

The ATT DNS servers are so horrendously slow that I/m considering dumping ATT Uverse and if ATT won't let me switch back to DSL then I'll dump them altogether.

Former Moderator

• 

697 Messages

3 years ago

Hi @dgangstee

Thank you for sharing your concern.

As per AT&T Community Guidelines, we will have to close this thread, as it is 6 years old. We would request you to post it as a new conversation.

Have a great day!

Regards, 
AT&T Moderator

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.