tommy99's profile

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

Thursday, January 26th, 2017 4:30 AM

Could my internet issues be a bad Motorola NVG589 Modem?

Hi,

I've come to realize that my home issues with the internet could be a bad Motorola NVG589 Modem. The reason I say this, every few hours online, I get the browser window saying "more information is needed' and it is the ATT modem front page saying "no internet connection" so i check the modem leds and sure enough, only power/ethernet/wireless are lighted, broadband is red, service/phone are out. I can wait it out (maybe 10 minutes and the modem comes back on with internet access. But the quicker route is to power cycle the Motorola NVG589 Modem. I've turned off ipv6 as suggested from previous posting. Each time the internet goes out, I use my mobile app ATT Mark the Spot to send the issue. Out of the few dozens of sending to ATT, only once did it respond with "we are aware of a local problem and are working to fix" but all the other times, nothing.

So my question to anyone, what is the process of getting another Motorola NVG589 Modem to see if that is the issue? Can I get an "off the shelf" modem to test against? The problem with the Off the Shelf modem is I need to find one that has a phone line.

Thanks,

A frustrated uVerse customer

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I received an email from AT&T saying that my:  "Wi-Fi Gateway indicates that it does not yet have the lastest software version installed."  Instructions to reboot the gateway (to receive the updated software) only explains how to do this with gateways that have an internal backup battery.  My setup, however, has a separate external backup battery, and the instructions provided do not address my setup.  I think I can ASSUME, that I can follow the instructions and simply disconnect the cable from the battery to the gateway--which to me would be the same thing as removing the internal battery as the instructions call for. Yes, or No?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

7 years ago

Hi @LarryBton,

Yes, ensure that the external battery back-up unit is disconnected from the AT&T Wi-Fi Gateway/Router for at least 20-30 seconds.

-ATTU-verseCare

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

7 years ago

Hi, does ATT think it is the battery backup attached that is causing my router issue? After a manual restart of the router the internet comes right back. I've never had to reboot more than once to get reconnected. In fact, my router just had another "down" event and I rebooted the router to get back access. The reboot process isn't too bad if I were watching TV over Netflix. But most of the time, I'm online gaming and it goes out. The really suck part on losing connection in the middle of a "campaign" is I don't get the credit which means start again from the beginning. As of this writing, from when I first wrote on this issue, I've had to reboot the router at least 3 times per day.

The external battery backup is hardwired attached to the router so if the backup is bad, then the whole router/backup needs to be replaced. How do I disconnect the battery backup from the router?

Best,

Thomas

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you.

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

7 years ago

I don't have any issues with rebooting the router/modem.

MY issue is with the uVerse Internet going down at random times throughout the day.

When the internet goes down, I have 2 options:

1. Wait for the internet to come back online

2. Reboot the router/modem manually

I find that option 1 takes in upwards of 10 minutes to get internet back.

With option 2, it is faster, so this is the route I use to get internet back up and running.

My original post was, why am I seeing so much down time to which there is no answer.

I then reposted that maybe it is my router/modem that is the issue.

I have 2 options on how to reboot the router/modem.

1. Pull the power connector from the back of the router/modem

2. Power cycle the attached battery backup

BTW, for reference, all my computers and TV are using the wired method.

There are a couple laptops that uses wireless but these are not my gaming systems.

When the ethernet goes down, everything is down, wired and wireless.

I am guessing that I will just have to accept this and live with it and hope something changes in the futre that will give me more reliable service.

BTW, when I had DSL, my internet was up 99% of the time, the only times it went offline was during really bad weather but then everyone in my area went down too. I know that I cannot go back to DSL (I would love to just for this reason alone). Does the router/modem have any logs that is capture when it goes down? Or any utilities that I can install to capture for ATT support to investigate?

I have contacted ATT support, they said because it is intermitten and I can't pinpoint that unless the tech is here when it goes down, there is little they can do...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I live in Arlington Tx. I have the same modem and I have the same problem. I am about to drop ATT if they don't make better on the neighborhood problems. I believe it is the underground wiring which are OLD COPPER telephone wises that are 40 Years old. They refuse to upgrade the wires in my area. I was on two wire connections to my house. Now it is one. When I called and complained about losing one wire, they ran test and send one wire is good enough. ATT is giving less for more; I feel they spend too much for advertising and too little for substructure. Fix your problem ATT or I'm bye bye . 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.