b01000100's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, August 8th, 2013 1:08 AM

Why am I suddenly having connection issues?

Hello everyone,

I hope someone has some ideas for my situation.  I have had U-verse since 2010.  I have rarely ever had any issues with it.  However, starting Saturday night, I started having a serious issue.  I called support, and they sent me a new RG.  I hooked it up and ended up with the same issues.  Nothing changed in my place or just outside of my place prior to the issues changing. 

Here is how it is all wired up:

On the outside of the house is a box from the telephone and cable companies.  From this box runs a coax cable.  That coax cable runs into my house to my utility room.  In the utility room, it runs to a DPLS-2AR diplexer.  The diplexer is then connected to the RG and to a splitter for my TVs.  All TVs/STBs are connected to this splitter via coax.

In the course of troubleshooting this issue (both by myself and with support), I have tried all sorts of things.  Here are the scenarios I am left with currently:

1.  If I leave it hooked up as it was originally installed, the power, broadband, and service lights all come on and stay solid green.  The Ethernet and HomePNA lights come on and do their blinking thing.  In other words, everything looks like it normally does.  However, there is no Internet connection, and I can't watch TV.

2.  If I bypass the diplexer and plug the incoming coax into the RG directly, the power, broadband, and service lights will come on and stay solid green.  The HomePNA light will not come on - blinking or otherwise.  If I do this, I can get an Internet connection.

I have done the following:

1.  I have reset the RG and the STBs several times - some on my own, other times at the request of the support people I have been talking to.

2.  I tracked down a tech and swapped out my diplexer, just in case something went wrong there.  The vans are all over around here, and I just stopped when I saw one.  I tried not to waste more than a few seconds telling him why I wanted to swap it out, and he was extremely accommodating.  Putting it in place results in no difference in the above situations.

3.  I have swapped out all coax cables.  The one running into the house has a barrel connector on it as it enters the house.  I swapped everything from that connector (including the connector) all the way to the RG.  I have also swapped out the short coax cables that go between the diplexer and the various devices.

None of that seems to do anything at all.  If I hook it up the way it was always hooked up (and the way it is supposed to be hooked up), I cannot use UV Realtime to connect to the RG.  It just doesn't connect.  If I connect it so I get an Internet connection, I get the following results:

Stats-2013-08-07-21-00-36.png

ErrorTable-2013-08-07-21-00-42.png

Bitloading-2013-08-07-21-00-51.png

I don't know what all of that means, but it seems to be requested in posts like this.  Is there anything in this mess that indicates something I missed or something I could try?  I have a service call scheduled, but the only service appointments they have that I could possibly make are during my work hours, and I don't really have enough vacation time to take off for a situation like this.

Thanks for the time...

3 Attachments

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

b01000100 - After doing all that you sure deserve to have it work for you. Thought you had it with the diplexer. I would try the TV legs one at a time connected to the diplexer instead of the splitter.

All the cable ends were changed to compression fittings and are nice and tight ?? Yes.

Where is the DVR? Is there not a TV near the RG? I believe you said all the TVs were connected coax. I would have connected the DVR to the RG cat5. If you had that connection your eliminate the diplexer config would have given working TV.

Based on your excellent trouble shooting and description we are down to the splitter and any one of the coax legs off of it. Try it one leg at a time. Also, try a cat5 connection (RG to STB).

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

11 years ago

If you have access to all cables I would move your service from coax to Ethernet, this would allow RG, internet and Voip to function.
Hpna on coax would be from RG direct to coax splitter (was this changed?), and disburse to TV set top boxes. How many TVs?
3 or less TVs, would run Ethernet cable to closest (preferable least used) and move DVR to tis location, then look at swapping one or two set top for wifi set tops ($49) each.
More than 3 TVs will need to use existing coax or install addition Ethernet runs to place on these on ports back of RG
Note: if move DVR or any set top boxes from coax to Ethernet will need to factory reset RG to recognize new connections.

Issue I suspect is still coax related, remove coax from equation.
There is also the dip in bits loading around 820 am that looks more severe than normal (1680)

Is there someone who could (18 or over) who could house sit for tech appointment.
Truthfully rewire (you or tech), move to wireless set top boxes and make life easier.

Best, let us know how things is resolved, thanks in advance.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

It sounds to me like one of the legs on the HPNA feed out from the diplexor has a bad/no connection.  I would agree that moving to a Cat5 home run from the NID and RG would likely get you back to normal Internet functionality, but your HPNA network would still have problems.

Can you run the HPNA test on the RG and screenshot the HPNA tab from UVrealtime? Maybe a big error rate/low bandwidth will show up on one of the devices and that'll tell you where the bad coax is.

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

11 years ago

The way he is currently wired with the diplexor hpna will kill his internet, would not be able to use uvrealtime hence my advice to replace the homerun to Ethernet cable allowing internet to be free of issue.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

Why wouldn't UVrealtime still collect stats from the running RG, even if the RG doesn't have an active VDSL2 connection?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Well guys, I think I have this thing taken care of for now.  I really appreciate the responses from everyone.  Of all the things I tried, I didn't think to try a single line at a time to an STB.  Aviewer kicked my mind into gear with this:

"Try it one leg at a time. Also, try a cat5 connection (RG to STB)."

So, here is what I did when I got home:

1.  I removed the splitter that I had in place for all of my coax connections.

2.  I tried running a single coax line to an STB.  To my surprise, everything kicked right in.

3.  I put in a 3-way splitter I knew was good (this splitter was left by the original U-verse installer, and I replaced it with an 8-way).

4.  I used an existing cat5 cable for an STB in one of our bedrooms.

5.  I did a factory reset of the RG (I saw somewhere this was required after going from coax to cat5 for an STB).

This is all temporary for right now.  I plan on making better cat5 runs to all of the STBs in the near future.  I have cat5 to all of the locations for the STBs, but they are for other devices.  As of right now, I have 2 STBs connected through coax (the third connection from the splitter is going to an empty outlet in the living room in case the wife decides we MUST rearrange the room before I get a permanent fix in).  I have all of my cat5-connected devices running either through the ports on the RG or through a switch.  I plan on replacing that switch with one better suited for the job and then running everything in the house through cat5.

Anyway, I wanted to update everyone and say that I really appreciated the help.  After you mess with something for a fair amount of time, you often overlook the obvious.

Take care everyone!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

b01000100 - Good to hear you are up and running. Thanks for closing the loop. We all appreciate that. So many just go away. But, even your initial post is ahead of the average.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

Two things I want to point out:

1) Unterminated Coax runs are a bad thing.  The signal gets broadcast out to the end of that cable, doesn't see a terminating resistance and bounces back up making everyone unhappy.  This acts on the system the same way a bridge tap does.  So, either get a 75 ohm resistor you can screw on to the not-in-use wall plate, or disconnect the leg.

2) Most consumer coax splitters are not up to the task of HPNA.  Go carefully when replacing the splitters provided by AT&T.  And obviously never try to replace the diplexor with a splitter.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I am having some trouble connect to WiFi and I won't to make my own

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.