robertbb99's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 6:09 AM

Connecting to my NVG510 Wirelessly

My NVG510 modem is in my kitchen. I have connected my computer in the living room wirelessly, just picked out my SSID and entered in my password. The problem is my TV in my bedroom. When I scan for access points I see all the modems in my apt bldg but not mine in the kitchen. I manually entered the SSID and password but I still cant connect to the wireless modem. Is it possible that the stove, refrigerator, and vent hood are blocking the signal?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Well I just got off the phone with AT&T technical help and got the problem fixed. On the back of the modem there is a reset button that you have to use a pin to press in. I was told to hold the button down for 15 seconds and then let the modem reboot. This cleared up what ever the problem was and once the modem powered back up my TV now included my modem in the list of available modems. Twice I had unplugged the modem thinking that unplugging it would reset it but apparently pressing the reset button clears out some cache or memory. I just find it odd that the modem broadcasts it SSID number so that only my computers USB wireless Netgear Dongle "saw" it but my TV did not. Oh well, I am not losing any sleep over this mystery.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@robertbb99 wrote:

My NVG510 modem is in my kitchen. I have connected my computer in the living room wirelessly, just picked out my SSID and entered in my password. The problem is my TV in my bedroom. When I scan for access points I see all the modems in my apt bldg but not mine in the kitchen. I manually entered the SSID and password but I still cant connect to the wireless modem. Is it possible that the stove, refrigerator, and vent hood are blocking the signal?

I suppose theoretically it's possible, but not likely it could completely block it. Have you tried moving the NVG to another room, or a different location in the kitchen, or just raising it up or lowering it down to test it?

What type of wireless adapter does your TV use, a USB device, or something built into the TV? If it's a USB device you could try swapping it out for a different one and see if that helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

The wireless is built into the TV. On the TV's choices of access points I see all of the same devices as I see on my computer EXCEPT for MY modem. I can connect my computer with a Netgear dongle and the signal strength is 5 bars (max) but my modem does not show up at all. My TV is even picking up far away modems on the other side of my apt complex. The modem is the same distance from my computer as it is from my TV except there is the kitchen wall that is between my TV and my modem. If there was a phone jack I could move the modem into the same room but there is not. Guess I will go buy a long phone cord and see if moving it close to the TV might help the TV detect my modem.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

Glad to hear you're up and running.

What they had you do was a "Factory" reset, which puts the modem back to state and configuration it had when it left the factory.

There's one thing that worries me. Usually, factory default wireless security is set to minmum, which could explain why your TV could not connect before the reset (was not configured to handle the higher security).

After the reset, did they have you reset your wireleess security to WPA2? If not, you're open to someone else tapping into your network and potentially your computer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.