cottenwess's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, December 24th, 2013 3:32 AM

Connecting Uverse Receiver to another router?

my current wireless/wired setup is as follows:

Computer --wired connection --Uverse router-- wired connection -- Uverse Receiver

however, i'd like to use:

Computer --wired connection --Uverse router-- wired connection -- Third Party Router -- Uverse Receiver

so i can add additional devices (in the living room) to the network. (ie: smartTV, media center computer)

but apparently, the uverse receiver knows its not directly connected to the uverse router, but HOW?! and shouldn't this be able to be bypassed?

i've tested the setup, everything else connects EXCEPT the receiver.

the subnet mask is the same, the DNS is the same; unless the uverse is reading a port i don't know?

the chat i've had with the tech support just says "boost the wireless signal".. 

you'd think, if we pay all this money for their service, we should be able to use the service the way that seems best possible?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

@cottenwess wrote:
I need more wired ports most of all. Netflix can't get enough bandwidth for HD streaming. And have to transfer files via disk or flash drive to media PC .

Replace the wireless router you're using in that location with a Gigabit Ethernet switch.  The switch should allow all wired devices to work correctly, however, there are some devices that might be bothered by the large amount of multicast IP traffic that will occur on all ports when the STB is powered on.  If oyu have any devices that are sensitive to the multicast traffic then you will either have to A) turn off the STB when using those devices, or B) use VLAN-capable switches to separate the IPTV and computer network traffic, or C) run a second Ethernet cable to separate the IPTV and computer network traffic.

The recommended Gigabit Ethernet switch is the NetGear GS-108 (8 ports) or GS-105 (5 ports).

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

At the location where you've installed the router -- do you need the wireless network on this router? Or do you just need more wired ports to connect the other devices?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I need more wired ports most of all. Netflix can't get enough bandwidth for HD streaming. And have to transfer files via disk or flash drive to media PC .

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

When we had Uverse TV, I connected our apple TV direct to the Uverse STB via ethernet cable. I never had any problems using Netflix that way.Our STB's were all connected via RG6 cables from the NID (outside box). RG was (and still is) connected by ethernet cable to the NID. I also connected other devices by etherent cable to the STB to do firmware updates. Have you tried connecting your netflix device to an STB via ethernet cable?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.