Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Compatible modems

Contributor

Compatible modems

I just spoke with two different ATT Uverse customer service reps. The first told me that I could use my own third party modem to save the monthly service fee. All I needed to do was check the compatibility list on the ATT Uverse site, which I could not find. The second person I spoke to on the online chat told me there was no such list because only their gateways can be used. 

I was under the impression that ISPs were no longer allowed to force you to lease equipment to use their services per FCC guidance. 

My questions are:

Has anyone used a third party modem successfully with ATT Uverse that has fiber coming into the residence?

And if so, do you have any suggestions for what modem to buy and how to install it?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
Employee

Re: Compatible modems

If you have legacy (PPOE) DSL you may purchase your own router, legacy has an enforced 150GB cap.

If you have Uverse, (xDSL) due to how the account is authorized requires the ATT gateway with fee.

Uverse has an unenforced 250GB cap.

From the Uverse fine print details....

For new residential customers. Includes U-verse® High Speed Internet Pro (3Mbps). 12-month term required. Must maintain qualifying services for continued receipt of bill credits. Up to $180 Early Termination Fee applies if Internet is disconnected before end of term. AT&T Wi-Fi Gateway required. Promotional pricing applies to service rates only; excludes taxes, up to $99 installation charge, and a monthly Internet equipment fee. Internet price includes 250GB of data per month. For more information, go to att.com/internet-usage. Credit restrictions apply. Internet speed claims represent maximum speed capabilities. Speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Actual speeds vary based on Internet factors including site traffic, content provider server capacity, device capabilities, and use of other U-verse services. 45Mbps and 75Mbps services are currently available in select markets. Visit att.com/uverse to check service availability in your area. Offer ends April 13, 2016.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

I have the same questions and was told the same, exact thing! Please help
Message 3 of 5
Employee

See previous answer ... Post 2.... Nothing has changed.

AT&T Uverse services requires the use of an AT&T Uverse gateway to be able to access the network. You may purchase your own router and place behind the gateway in either DMZ or IP Pass through mode, depending on gateway. But you must use the gateway.

Edit:

http://www.att.com/legal/terms.internetAttTermsOfService.html

From section 7.Equipment

a. Additional Equipment Information for AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Customers.

AT&T will make available to you certain equipment (which may include a modem/gateway located inside your premises, or Optical Network Terminal ("ONT") which is a box that may be located inside your premises, on the outside of your premises, a central location in a multi-tenant building, or in your garage, where AT&T's fiber network terminates or an Intelligent Network Interface Device ("iNID") (which provide your services if you do not have a gateway), all of which is herein collectively referred to as "U-verse Equipment"), required for your Service. If you have not purchased U-verse Equipment from AT&T or if previously purchased U-verse Equipment is beyond the one (1) year warranty period (from date of installation) and requires replacement, then you agree to pay a monthly equipment fee for the U-verse Equipment, as part of your purchase of or continued use of the Service and/or other U-verse services.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5
Contributor

Wow, go AT&T. I thought that the FCC passed a law where you could use 3rd party equiptment and not be charged to rent the providers (Crappy) equitment. Sounds like will be going back to cable! Hope they file Chapter 11 soon, we just switched our mobile service last month and cancelled Uverse cable almost a year ago...

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support