Compatible Routers

Compatible Routers

Well as of right now the modem/router i have is a 3600HGV-b and i am going to send that in to get a modem. Also i have about $300 to spend on a router. Does anyone know list of routers i can buy from the store or online that would work with ATT U-Verse ADSL+2 internet. Also whish modem is available?

Message 1 of 6

Re: Compatible Routers

@Chaplin0552  wrote:

Well as of right now the modem/router i have is a 3600HGV-b and i am going to send that in to get a modem. Also i have about $300 to spend on a router. Does anyone know list of routers i can buy from the store or online that would work with ATT U-Verse ADSL+2 internet. Also whish modem is available?

The modems AT&T will use should be one of the three following modem/gateways:

1. Pace 2701HGV-B
  2. Motorola NVG510
  3. Motorola 2210

Any consumer grade router/WAP should work behind the modem/gateways listed above, so pick the one you want. Just don't get one with an integrated modem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 6

Are they all the same? Meaning is one better than the other? <3 Also do i have to pay $100 just to get that modem? Sorry for all the questions.
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted

@Chaplin0552  wrote:
Are they all the same? Meaning is one better than the other? <3 Also do i have to pay $100 just to get that modem? Sorry for all the questions.

Personally, my opinion is which one is the least worse.Smiley Wink so pick your poison.

The 2210 has a single LAN port, and no wireless. The least amount of interference with setting up your own router/WAP. Advanced setup.

The 2701 has four LAN ports, and only "G" wireless. Not a bad router, but not-so-hot wireless. You could get away with just buying a WAP (wireless access point) or setting up your router/WAP as just an access point (probably the easiest setup).

The 510 has four LAN ports, and "N" wireless. Not too bad wireless, but a buggy modem/gateway overall. Avoid if you can.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Which router should I get so that I will have UPNP? Trying to monitor security cameras remotely but UPNP is not supported by Uverse? I was told I could plug a secondary router or modem behind the uverse unit but I don't know which one to buy. I don't need wirless since the camera system is in same location of main uverse unit. Thx.

Message 5 of 6
Contributor

Had U-Verse installed about a week ago.  Now I have to find a way to connect my wireless Netgear 600 Router to the AT&T system to be able to access my E-Mail.  Two of four computers have no WiFi and the router will not permit setup for access to the AT&T system.  Those computers that do have WiFi receive very weak signals.  When I signed up for U-Verse it was explained that this includes Hi Def TV (to replace my Direct TV), as well as providing internet and phone service.  The phone works.  I think the TV will work!  The computers and wireless network present an entirely different situation.  I'm beginning to think that I should reinstall my Direct TV and DSL.  I have another AT&T technician coming Friday, but at an additional cost.  The original installer insists I should be able to connect using my wireless Netgear.  Both Netgear and AT&T Support insist this is impossible unless I run a long CAT 5 connection from the fiber entrance to the Netgear router.  Even trying to use the Router as a LAN for the 4 computers causes problems when the wireless Netgear is disabled.  I lose the AT&T wireless connections when I connect a computer to the wired LAN.

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Do you have questions about Internet and Email Security? Have them answered on Wednesday, April 26th at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Hack Attack!

Additional Support