Chromecast does not work with 5031NV router

Tutor

Chromecast does not work with 5031NV router

Chromecast worked fine till I got a new router (5031NV). I believe the issue is that uPnP is not supported. How do I allow Chromecast on the new router?

Message 1 of 15 (4,753 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Chromecast does not work with 5031NV router

Hello, savorton!

Thanks for your post. Are you still having issues with your Chromecast? If so, I recommend that you send a private message to our U-verse experts by clicking here. They will absolutely look into this for you, and you can expect a reply within the next two business days. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 15 (4,649 Views)
ACE - Expert

savorton wrote:

Chromecast worked fine till I got a new router (5031NV). I believe the issue is that uPnP is not supported. How do I allow Chromecast on the new router?

What router did you have before, savorton?  None of the AT&T U-verse Residential Gateways support UPnP.  However, you can place your own router that does have UPnP support behind the 5031NV in DMZplus mode and have it work that way.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 15 (4,628 Views)
Tutor

I am still having the problem so I send an email using the link you provided.

Thank you,

Message 4 of 15 (4,563 Views)
Tutor

Thank you for the feedback. It was an AT&T provided router and I had no problem setting up and using Chromecast. Unfortunately I no longer have the router model.

Best regards,

Message 5 of 15 (4,561 Views)
Tutor

Any recommendations on a suitable router? I notice certain ADSL routers will not work with Uverse.

Thank you,

Message 6 of 15 (4,328 Views)
ACE - Expert

savorton wrote:

Any recommendations on a suitable router? I notice certain ADSL routers will not work with Uverse.

Thank you,

You don't want to buy a router with an ADSL modem built in for this application. However, pretty much any other router will do, but I'd read the box/review/specs and look for the feature you want from it, specifically UPnP support.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 15 (4,273 Views)
Contributor

Is it possible to add a rule for the Firewall that would allow Chromecast to work with the 5931NV?

Steve

Message 8 of 15 (3,944 Views)
Community Support

Hello sabyers,

We have received your private message and will continue working with you to help you set your gateway in DMZ mode via private message.

SadathCS
ATTU-verseCare

Need more help? Feel free to search the AT&T Community for great answers. You can also get immediate troubleshooting steps from the myAT&T app. Simply login, scroll and click Fix it Now! Support Tools. You can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 15 (3,881 Views)
Contributor

Has there been any update to this thread (as it mentions private email).  My in-laws just got the Pace 5031NV router with uverse, and just got a Chromecast, and the Chromecast won't connect using this router

Message 10 of 15 (2,876 Views)
Tutor

You mention placing the uPnP router behind the 5031NV. I assume you mean plug the cable from the wall into the uPnP enabled router and then plug it into the 5031NV, correct?

Message 11 of 15 (2,313 Views)
Tutor

Hi savorton...

Any luck on this issue? I am facing the same problem and cannot get it to work with 5031NV....any help will be greatly appreciated....

Thanks.

Message 12 of 15 (2,246 Views)
Tutor

All,

Just wanted to update that I went ahead and bought a second Chromecast and it worked without a hitch...so, maybe, just maybe others could be stuck with a bad device as well but would never suspect it.

I made no changes, no UPnP settings, nothing to the 5031NV router, and did not connect any other router behind or in front of it....it got set up in less than 5 minutes.

Now just wondering what to do with the defective Chromecast which is beyond the return timeline with Amazon!!

Regards...

Message 13 of 15 (2,220 Views)
Tutor

I don't know what his answer was but your assumption is the reverse of what I understood about how this would work.  The Pace gateway must be placed first in the chain connected to the AT&T signal because it includes the U-verse DSL modem function at the head of the chain.  Then, if I understand what is meant by DMZ is the Pace does no fire wall function at all and relies on the UPnP router do do all of the router functions including firewall, dhcp, etc.

But I am not a network expert so I hope someone will supply a more complete set of instructions for using DMZ and a UPnP router to completely bypass all of the Pace router functions.  Or whatever it is this proposal uses to accomplish Remote Web Access for Windows Server 2012 r2 Essentials.

Message 14 of 15 (1,516 Views)
Tutor

notify me of replies, thanks.  erl

Message 15 of 15 (1,514 Views)